1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MT3 - how does yours compare?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by void, May 17, 2002.

1. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally moved into the new house and got my MT3 permanantly mounted. Although I have had this unit for 3 months I have only used it occasionally, positioned on an adjustable projector stand (ironing board) behind the sofa. Now it is inverted under a shelf approx 3/4 of the way up the rear wall (for compatibility with the low hanging chandelier the wife insisted on!!). For the first time I can start really trying to get the best from this projector.
    First impressions are generally good, although I am picking up some noise when using it with HTPC which needs investigation. I do have some questions for other owners and would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

1. Do you find your MT3 noisey. I have worked hard to ensure my new HTPC was pretty quiet, only to find the projector much louder than the old pc ever was, and its right above my head.

2. I have fine vertical lines on my screen. I have read some solutions for other projectors that involves adjustments in hidden menus, are there any adjustments for the MT3? I read one post that suggested a pc is required for some adjustments, is this right?

3. When using it with the HTPC I get a clear and sharp picture apart from 4 or 5 vertical lines spaced evenly across the screen, where the pixels shimmer, causing text and images in those areas to blur. Any ideas? I assume the LCD panels in these are actually 800x600?

4. Silly question this one but, how do you find out remaining lamp life?

For info, the PC is a celeron 1.3, TUSL2C mobo, radeon 7200 full version @ 800x600 75 hz, WinXP, Enermax PSU,WinTv PCI.

Thanks in advance.
    Gav.

2. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Void

I used to have an MT1 and found that prety noisy so I built a hush box around it and vented it into the floor space above using a bathroom extractor fan kit. I found it actually ran cooler in the hush box because it's being supplied with cool clean (smoke free) air via the intake duct.
    I also fitted foam filter material to the intake to stop any dust which can lead to problems on panel projectors over a period of time.
    I found it stopped 90% of the whine you hear, and had the bonus of making it a little more secure too.
    I'm probably going to do the same with the sharp 9000 even though it's very quiet as I think the cool filtered air must help extend the projectors life and help maintain a clean optical path.
    One last tip make sure you use good quality glass for the front window.

Technophobe

3. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Technophobe,
    Sounds like a good solution. If all else fails I could build a hush box, and pipe it through the wall into the hallway. But I want to know if mine is unusually noisey first. Im not expecting complete silence, just a bit quieter than it is now. Anyone else out there have any comments?
    Gav.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Void,

I use the MT1. The faint vertical lines you mention are a traight of most 4:3 lcd projectors. I can notice them on mine but when I use HTPC they almost vanish.

As for your other questions, I have asked the same on this forum but to no avail.

Good Projectors though arent they!

5. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes I find my MT3 a little noisey, yes I get vertical lines (Sony DVD), don't know how to check bulb remaining life, no I have not seen 4 or 5 virtical distortion lines, yes I think it is a great projector (though I have nothing to compare).

I have also decided this projector needs a hush box. I would be surprised if there are any LCD projectors that don't. I would rather have the projector cooled properly than have it quietly overheating.

Any MT1/MT3 owners living close(ish) to Worcester?

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I have the MT3 and I also found it a little noisy so I put in the next room (see file attachment) The vertical line structure is very faint using a HCPC. I have never seen these 4 to 5 vertical lines spaced across the sereen. I am have no idea how to determine remaining lamp life. Toshiba seem to want to keep us guessing until the lamp actually fails.

Has anyboby noticed jerky movement on slow panning shots using a HCPC that is not there using svideo in from a DVD player? Very evident on opening shots of Star Trek Insurrection (R2) and through out Jurrassic Park 3. Very very evident while watching the Universal logo. I have come to the conclusion that it's a problem with the MT3 projector but if none of u have seen it perhaps (fingers crossed, cause it's still under gaurantee) I have a faulty pj

Regards

Conor

Attached Files:

7. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your responses.
    I upgraded my svideo cable from the digibox and installed the pc on a mains filter. RF noise has gone, including the 5 horizontal lines!! The fine lines have improved also when watching sky through the pc, although they are still noticable in certain conditions. Cant comment on the stuttering on slow pans, as I haven't noticed any yet, although this is early days.
    I would like a little help with screen choice too. I am using a white presentation screen borrowed from work at the moment, but many people recommend using grey screens. I have two options. Spend some money and buy a greyhawk or something similar, or paint the wall with icestrom as a cheap option. The latter limits my screen size slightly, although I think if I go to the largest size the zoom will provide, I may be able to see the pixel structure. What screens are you guys using, and at what distances? What do you recommend?

Gav.

8. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I project onto the wall. Used to be magnolia, but have since painted a 100 inch Ice Storm (5) rectangle. Definitely think the grey is a better background. I don't use this room for anything other than cinema, don't think I would want to paint a grey rectangle on the wall of my main lounge!

Great thing about painted walls (apart from the cost) is that no screen ripples develop over time, damage can be repainted, no muck or dust gathers, and you can change screen size at will.

Glad I didn't spend £600 plus on an electric screen.

On the other hand if money was no object I would spend thousands on the dog's ******** screen. But then I would also buy a better projector, better DVD player, better speakers, better house, better car .........

9. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I know what you mean mate. I didnt realise how easy it is to become hooked by this stuff. I still have a way to go yet in terms of best output from my setup, but for every noticable tweak, my grin gets a little bit wider..... :confused: :) :D