MSI GS60 6QE Ghost Pro 4K Gaming Laptop Review

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Nice review; seems a bit of a pointless product to me? Think you were a bit generous giving it 8/10 Greg!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thanks Smurfin. It depends what you are looking for I guess. If it's a gaming laptop that can play games at 1080P at decent settings, plus also has a 4K screen for watching 4K then it does the job and does it very well.

But anyone expecting to get this and play current games at 4K then they will be out of luck. I hope that point came across in the review.

TheNameIsJambo

It's a great laptop overall, I'd say 8/10 is bang on - I gave it the same score in my review on OcUK. I'm a little disappointed by the included software, however. I feel some of it is a bit 'bloated' around the edges. The tracking-pad is a bit... Well, I've never got on with laptop tracking-pads, they just frustrate me.

I've never been big on laptops for gaming, but I'm absolutely sold with his beast. I can't believe they can pack so much power into such a small & lightweight [2KG!] unit. I don't think they should tout this as a 4K gaming machine though, a GTX 970m is quite laughable for 4K gaming. However this laptop cuts through most games at 1080, but given its dues: It can play CS and DoD at 4K :D

With modern-gaming at 4K out the window, it does serve other merits. The screen is simply glorious - Text is crisp and the sheer amount of real-estate you get for work is incredible. It looks great for everything from writing out PowerPoints/Word docs to video playback. Especially when coupled with the excellent MSI True Colour software; the Anti-Blue viewing mode is a life-saver when churning out work late at night, but it puts F.lux out of a job.

MSI are definitely onto a winner here and they're close to having a perfect product. The build quality is stellar; except from the plastic bezel on the screen. The features, cooling system, performance are fantastic especially when you consider its' form-factor. I bought this over a Dell XPS 15 and HP Spectre - both of which are completely beautiful machines - but sadly, both had some heat dissipation issues. This machine beat them both to the chase, considering you also get far more bang-for-buck with this model.

Smurfin, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, I think saying it's a pointless product is a tad harsh. That's like your Granddad saying, "Son, this big gaming machine is pointless. Where do the darts go?!" You may not need an Ultrabook-esque and powerful laptop; which boasts a 3840x2160 resolution, but that doesn't necessarily mean I [or others] don't. Luckily for MSI, I fell right into their demographic.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I'm not saying it's not good, I'm saying it doesn't do what's it's advertised as; it also strikes me that 4K on a 15" screen is pointless...horses for courses and all that though.

TheNameIsJambo

You've just insulted every portable/mobile device released in the last 5 years which touts a PPI of (circa) 280 or more and offers a 'Retina' experience. Quintessentially, what you've said is akin to this statement: "What's the point in having a 1920x1080 resolution on an iPhone 6 Plus." - When your eyes would be quite offended to see the pixels on a smartphone screen these days.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Eh? Who's talking about smart phones? I'm talking about 4K gaming on a 15" screen where everything will be tiny, and where you can't even hit 30fps in some cases. That, to me, is pointless.

sabesh

Standard Member
There are multiple reports of the 4K panel displaying inaccurate yellows. It's described as "mustard yellow". Can you confirm please?

In addition to gaming, I intend to edit photos. Colour accuracy is important for me, especially the yellows, which impacts skin tones. Thanks.

I'm not saying it's not good, I'm saying it doesn't do what's it's advertised as; it also strikes me that 4K on a 15" screen is pointless...horses for courses and all that though.
MSI is famous now, it dont need advertisement, its my point of view may be you conflict with it!