MSI 990FXA-GD80 No Post

jasonr2000

hi guys ive got the motherboard as in the title

its an am3+ board

AMD CPU = HDX720WFK3DGI
Ram Kingston HYPER X = KHX1333C7D3K2/4G X 4 but tried with a single stick and same thing
Mobo 990FXA-GD80

now for some reason at all i cant get it to post

its getting stuck on debug code 62

anybody know what could be wrong ???

ive got no other board to try the ram and cpu in to see if they are whats wrong as my current setup is DDR2

thanks for any help

jason

Last edited:

danoliver1

Cpu fan connected.
Graphics card in correctly with power cables.
Motherboard power cables in 24 pin and the 8 pin one.
Tried clearing cmos remove cmos battery etc.
Does it power on fans spin up.
Does it beep at you.

I bought an msi motherboard recently it turned out tobe doa so i returned it and got a asus sabertooth instead.

Last edited:

jasonr2000

hi danoliver1

all the power cables are in on the mobo and the gpu

ive tried clearing the CMOS
but its a no go there
all the fans come on
the debug led goes through the motions then stops at 62 and goes no further

if i pull the ram it goes through the motions and then beeps 3 times and shows error 54 which means no ram

but otherwise no beeps of any sort when a single stick of ram is in there there are quite a few led lights above the ram slots all lit up as 2 of them are for the north bridge power phase and the rest are cpu power phase
but as i said they are all lit up i dunno if they should be or what

i have read that it could be an issue with a bios update but as ive not got a cpu to put in there that will work as i dunno what one will is the reason why im stuck

any other ideas ?? do u think it could be the ram by any chance ??

thanks again

danoliver1

Its unlikely tobe the bios cpu or ram, have you tried building it out side of the case ie breadboarding it?

What power supply do you have?

Last edited:

jasonr2000

yeah i pulled it from the case thinking that was a fault built it up with just the basic cpu ram gpu and powered it up and still its getting stuck at error 62 and i cant for the life of me find anyone else with the same issue

danoliver1

Just having a luck at the manual, can see anywhere where it says what error 62 is?
have you tried reseating the cpu and the ram in dimm 1?

jasonr2000

hi again danoliver1 ive also looked in the manual i have reseated the ram in slot 1 only and the cpu reset the cmos and removed the battery for an hour and still error 62

jasonr2000

hi again danoliver1

ive tried my GPU in all the other slots and still get the 62 even if i boot without a GPU it still says 62

could the CPU be the problem ??

danoliver1

Sounds like it could be cpu or ram i suppose or it could be the board itself, any local computer shops that can test it for you and flash the bios? If not i would try a different cpu and ram.

jasonr2000

well i know a local computer shop by me who can take a look at it and possibly flash the bios if not im just going to replace the mobo with another one and try again with corsair ram this time not kingston

as the ram ive got kingston says DUAL-CHANNEL MEMORY KITS "X" suffix designates XMP ready for Intel Core i5 7xx and Core i7 8xxx series processors and systems

does that mean it will only work with i5 or i7 systems ??

danoliver1

jasonr2000 said:
well i know a local computer shop by me who can take a look at it and possibly flash the bios if not im just going to replace the mobo with another one and try again with corsair ram this time not kingston

as the ram ive got kingston says DUAL-CHANNEL MEMORY KITS "X" suffix designates XMP ready for Intel Core i5 7xx and Core i7 8xxx series processors and systems

does that mean it will only work with i5 or i7 systems ??

My dads got the kingston xmp blu in his amd x6 1055t system so it will work fine, its sounding more like its the board itself thats borked.

jasonr2000

im also thinking the board has gone wrong and its brand new thats the downside :( shame really

its just getting MSI to rma the thing i dunno how to do that lol

but no worries ill get another one and try again :(

RIP MSI 990FXA-GD80

jasonr2000

thank u for all your help danoliver1

ill try and get a shop to look at it tho as it would be handy to have another board incase i make another machine :)

jasonr2000

ok well here is an update for you guys on this it turned out to be the CPU
i dunno why but its having issues

amd are saying update the bios to solve the 62 error also msi are saying the same

so im going to try and get a sempron from somewhere and give it a shot

thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom