MSFS - Foveated Rendering

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Well, it’s finally here. It’s been talked about for ages, but with the latest OpenVR Toolkit, it’s now an actuality.

I’ve just been having a bit of a play, and the results are amazing. There is a fair bit of scope for adjusting the main, full res, centre area, and then the surrounding areas. From the YouTube video that the VR Flight Guy has posted, you can clearly see, the much lower res outer views and they look awful. At least they do on the flat screen. In the G2, you can’t really see the affected areas at all. A combination of the inheritantly small, sweet spot, coupled with the fact your peripheral vision is naturally compromised anyway leads to pretty much zero downsides.

On the flip side, the performance gains are fantastic. I was able to keep between 30-45 fps with everything maxed out, apart from Render Scaling left at 100, and Terrain Level of Detail at 150. Everything else totally cranked to the max. Having said that, I shall dial those settings back, and increase FPS a little more.

Bottom line: If you have a VR headset, and run MSFS, this is the most significant performance boost you can get. I shall be playing, and tweaking for the next day or so.

Edit: I initially thought this was G2 only, but I’m happy to be mistaken. Turns out it works with most headsets.

Last edited:

KingD

had good success with that when playing Resident Evil 2 & 3 in VR, freed up frames with pretty much unperceivable drop in quality

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
had good success with that when playing Resident Evil 2 & 3 in VR, freed up frames with pretty much unperceivable drop in quality
Excellent. It certainly does the business. I’m just waiting for a decent settings guide now, as it can all get a bit complicated. There’s the nVidia settings, along with WMR, OpenXR and finally the in-game settings. It’s easy to get lost amongst that lot.

bellso

Following.

Aim to try get this working with my Quest 2 this weekend [Rtx3080/5600x PC, MSFS windows store version]

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Just be aware that they released a new version yesterday, with a few fixes, mainly to accommodate the Q2 and Windows 11 compatibility.

Thug

It looks terrible for me with big thick black lines everywhere (New York) and crashes when i go from VR to 2d.
I cant even get over 21fps.
I have all my settings the same as in the video (but have not yet touched my sliders).
No idea what is wrong.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Regarding black lines, I’m told that turning off Light Shafts cures that. As to the crashing….. I deffo haven’t experienced anything like that. Can you fire it up just using WMR, OpenXR Toolkit and MSFS?

bellso

Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but can't get the menu up. Downloaded toolkit, run it, start MSFS in VR, press ctrl/f2.....no menu pops up.....

bellso

Ok, suddenly started working. The menu moving about is frustrating......need to play with settings now as attpemted to mess about and turn on nis scaler etc and it looks super pixelated. Fun Sat afternoon ahead.....

ArmitageShanks

I think the most shocking revelation on my Vive Pro (with prescription lens inserts) is just how much of the rendered image falls outside the headset's visible fov. I can bring the inner ring down to as low as about 67% before I can see the degradation on the edges.

On the monitor mirror, it looks downright ridiculous how much rendering is wasted on my particular setup. I'm pretty sure the native StreamVR lens profile culls those pixels. OpenXR doesn't seem to by default (although there is an option in the toolkit to do just that).

Last edited:

ArmitageShanks

It deffo doesn’t pay to look at the 2D image with FFR applied 😯. Are you getting a decent fps boost now?
The 2D image shows quite dramatically the foveated area with the bits outside the ring looking very dire. I'm getting a very solid 45fps in most areas with a lot of settings set to high or ultra. In New York it will be 30fps though no matter what I do.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
The 2D image shows quite dramatically the foveated area with the bits outside the ring looking very dire. I'm getting a very solid 45fps in most areas with a lot of settings set to high or ultra. In New York it will be 30fps though no matter what I do.

That sounds like a decent result. I’m on fairly high settings, but did have to forego ultra clouds, as they were absolutely crippling my frame rate. Got them on high now, and performing well. I also found grass and bushes, when on high, really tough on the eyes in VR. They didn’t really effect fps, but looked terribly shimmery and sugary. Dialled them back to medium, and much less painful to look at now.

I don’t think I’ll play any more with the settings, as I’m pretty happy with the end result, with a nice balance between eye candy and performance. I’m now hoping that DLSS will work with FFR when it arrives, and not work instead of. If the two techniques can work in harmony, they could potentially produce some killer frame rates. Fingers crossed 🙂

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
A new version of OpenXR Toolkit has been released:

Released a new version, Beta 3, Hotfix 2 (1.0.3) with the following:

Changes in Hotfix 2

• Fix a regression introduced in Hotfix 1 and causing the FFR mask to be incorrectly applied.
  • Allow finer adjustment of the contrast (0.01 step).
  • Fix position of the FPS overlay.
  • Disable the OpenXR Toolkit when the application is Edge/Chrome (eg: 360 videos).

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I've been playing alot with this recently, and have found no difference on performance with my 3090. What I have done, is upped the quest 2 resolution. I noticed my CPU was bottlenecking the GPU, so upping the resolution puts more work on the GPU, without any loss in performance. With OpenXR I get about 45FPS at Manchester Airport on the ground with everything set to high. In the air this rockets to 60+.
With OpenXR disabled, I get similar performance without the edges being blurry. Coupled with Oculus tool tray and super sampling set to 1.6, the picture quality for me is better.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong with OpenXR, or maybe the flight simulator team have improved the performance so it isn't needed.
Anyway, gutted DLSS has been delayed. This will be a game changer for performance and the only reason I went Nvidia.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom