1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS309 vs REL quake or Q150

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by birdseed, Nov 18, 2004.

1. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dear all,

I currently own a MS309. Ive set a budget of a grand to buy the three fronts to finish off my home cinema set up.
    Ive looked at buying the MA silver s6 or s8 and silver centre. £850 or £1050 outlay.
    The alternative would be the s1, or s2 (£550 or £625), leaving me enough cash to upgrade my sub to either a quake or the Q150e or even the strata.

Has anyone else auditioned or owned this combination of subs, and what were there impressions?

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Haven't owned any of those subs (and only heard the Q150E) but I'd guess that the Q150E and the Quake aren't upgrades from an MS309. In fact quite a substantial downgrade with regard to the latter.

IMHO going with standmounts and a better sub is a good idea though. Maybe see how things go with the MS309 and then look to the possibility of getting a demonstratably better product (meaning >B&W ASW675, SPL800, an entry level SVS cylinder etc).

3. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i have owned the quake and it has served me excellently for 11 months for what it is, its not a monster sub but for 350 new it is amazing, it completely changed my system which was previously 4 bw 600 s3's and an lcr 60.

the quake has added a new dimension to my films (70 and still counting at the minute) and music, from mid band bass you can feel threw the floor. im not heavily experienced with subwoofers, but i know a system isnt complete without one.

Would recommend it without reservation if your on a budget, but obviously the more you spend, the better quality you should be able to get. i would recommend you buy the best you can get and for the money and thats probably a baby svs

look here http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

do a search for svs in the svs forum. they are direct from the manufacture in the usa, and are 220v (just make sure u ask for it) they are amazing for the money, but there are certain pitfalls but its worth looking.

alternatively if you wanna go second hand you could probably get 2 quakes for well under 500 quid second hand, have a look in the classifieds. would considerably improve performance, tightness and timing. and on that matter i will soon be selling my rel quake for a bargain price in the forums, about 210 quid i think, need to check my bank details first as am upgrading to a monster svs

check out 1 of these things http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus_20-39.htm.

and if your budget can stretch to bout 700 defiantly go 4 one of these things, if your willing to take the risk, (no demo, difficult repair), but as many will tell you its defiantly worth it, excellent service as well.

but if not id prob recommend the second hand dual sub option, although i am slightly bias so ask around see whats the best u can get and dont skimp, make sure you get the best u can get.

sorry bout the long post, but hope it helps n gd luck with your search

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have upgraded from a MS309 (superb sub) to a PB10 and IMHO its a major upgrade if you have the room for one. It goes deeper and with more authority than the 309 ever will. I find it very musical (for a sub) and serious wallop with movies. I dont even have the gain over 1/4 on the sub and sometimes i feel thats getting a little to much:eek:

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Frank,

I have owned a Rel Quake, Q150, & the new Strata 5 out of all these subs the Strata 5 was the best out of the lot i have never heard the MS309.
    The quake IMO is probably not as good as the MS309 as it is very Light weight the Q150 has got more punch for movies and the Strata is a better all round solution, as other people have pointed out there are other alternatives out there but if your not willing to import say a SVS sub then the strata would be a better choice out of the 3 you are looking at..

John

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I don't think the Quake has great extension and having two would not help this. The money would be much better spent on one single better sub.