1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS309 vs MS409??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gman85, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before anyone suggests, yes i have considered the KEF 2500 the BK XLS 2000 and the Ruarks. However I'm interested in the MS 309 and MS409, however what are the key differences in PERFORMANCE?

The MS309 on paper goes down to 35hz but the MS409 goes down to 38hz on paper. I know figures should be thrown out of the window, but since they're coming from the same manufacturer, does the ms309 dig deeper than the ms409?

The MS309 works very well but is the MS409 any better? I'm looking for a musical sub so can anyone anwser my question to which one is better?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,336
    The 409 has more power and a (slightly) larger cabinet so when measurements are cast aside, you'll find that it does go slightly lower than the 309. That said I personally prefer the 309 and 909 as they are forward firers which I prefer in a design sense- whether it is psychosomatic or not I don't know but they do feel faster to me.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Bit of a facetious point but one key advantage is that Richer Sounds' Trade Counter has a few 309s in Cherry finish for £99. Not sure this counts as a tick in the 'performance' column but every little helps!

4. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richersounds Graded list is awful-i went to my local one in Cardiff to grab the £99 MS309 in cherry, and it doesn't exist! :(

Tons of fun, is the driver in the MS309 the same as the MS409?

5. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Gman - true enough. I called the Cardiff branch about a week ago to enquire about the 309 they were shown as having. I was told it didn't exist and they will update the site that day. It's still showing almost 2 weeks later, although there are a couple of other locations showing with this offer...

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,336
    G-man the driver is identical although the mounting is altered to allow for the 409 being downfiring.

7. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If musicality is your preference then go for the 409 over the 309.

Adam.

8. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i don't trust the richersounds graded list-it's hardly updated! Now to another question-will the 409 be easier to position being downwards firing than the 309? Whats the cut off frequency that people have got for either the 309 or 409 on spl meters?