1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS309 vs B&W ASW600

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Nik1967, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both the subs are available in the 2nd hand market in Germany at EUR 300 (for MS309) & EUR 400 (for B&W ASW600). Both are only 6 months old. Both having a guarantee cover of 18 months. Based purely on sound quality (not brand) which would be a better buy for my 601S3's/ 600 S3/LCR 60. Room size not big- 4m x 6m. I have read so many great reviews of MS309 that I am now seriously considereing going for it even though the rest of my system is B&W. My receiver is the Marantz SR5400OSE. Music/movies would be 60/40.

Quick response would be helpful...you know how things move in the 2nd hand market.
    Thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Nik

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Before I say anything more- I hope you are aware of my bias due to being an employee of MS.

I would say that the 309 offers a couple of advantages. It has the notch filter to flatten the response and as well as being well reviewed here, managed to beat the 600 in Heimkino as well. As we are distributed by marantz, the 309 will match the amp nicely as well. It should not prove appreciatively different to your speakers in performance and with the grill on it doesn't really look different to the 600.

Against this, the B&W offers smarter casework and the possibility of a better resale value if you sold all your speakers at once.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Ed

3. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Thanks a ton (no pun intended). now the decision making is not so simple. I hoped there would be a definite yes or no for either.
    I have read a few posts on the fuse problem with MS309. Is it that serious? I even asked the seller to check if they had a 2,5 amp or not. He replied that he did not know there was a fuse at all!!
    Which would perform better at the lower end? I would like my sub to gave a punchy feel about it and also be able to go down well.
    Have you heard the B&W? What in your ears was not good about it?

cheers
    Nik

4. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a ASW600 and am well happy with it, having said that I bought it because it was a B&W and would complement my B&W speakers perfectly.

I didn't test any other subs - eitherway we have a similar setup and I think you would be more than happy with it

5. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Vodder,
    That makes it 1-1 :)
    hmmm...I think the MS would be smaller in size, which is a plus. The B&W matches just right with the other speaker set-up. I believe MS edges it out on the sound factor. Thanks guys. It'S decision time for me.

6. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got my MS 309 delivered. I presume I would need a Y adapter from my receiver (sub pre-out) to connect the sub to line level ( 2 inputs). I have the SR 5400 OSE receiver. Can anyone please confirm this?

cheers
    Nik

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't normally neccesary to use both inputs. A single output from the Receiver to the sub will do.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    NO you dont unless you have problems with 'waking' the sub if you leave it in auto mode. I just leave my sub on 24/7 with no ill affects at all. It wont draw much power either as its a digital amp. It is in the manual which of the 2 inputs to use if you only have on output (left one I think):lesson:

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you plug 2 phono's in you will get an increase in voltage to the line inputs and therefore increase in gain, which would probably be about 2-3db or more and can be a little undesirable for calibrating.

John :)

10. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I am new to this....as i understand in laymans terms.....I need a RCA phono to RCA phono connector. Is that what you mean?
    Can you also suggest a good sub cable in the 20-30 quid range?

11. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Although a bit more expensive than what you want to spend, the Mark Grant Subwoofer cables in the Power Buy section are generally considered the best around without spending silly money. I have one (as have many others on here) and can vouch for the build quality. Read The Beekeepers link from Mark Grants page which goes into the cable techy stuff at some length.
    (and then post back and explain what it all means to me!!)
    Phil

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct RCA - RCA Phono, It does depend on what length you want ref price but something like an Ixos Sub Cable would set you back that sort of money or QED aswell.

Sorry Phil posted over you :blush:

13. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Audioquest G-snake recommended? I think it is a RCA-RCA phono.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Audioquest cables on mine very nice cables i have 2 sidewinder interconnects.

The G-Snake is good enough

15. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate :thumbsup: I'll order one now.

16. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I unpacked the carton to find there was no power cord, no manual, neither the test CD. I'll buy a power cord,download the manual, but what do i do about the CD? If anyone can send me a copy or something, I can pay for the costs involved. Please help needed urgently.
    thanks Nik

17. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No accessories?!?! ridiculous! If I was you mate i'd get on to the company who sold you it and tell them to sort it! It would make me wonder whether it has been opened and maybe used as a demo model or something.

18. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yeah dont take that sorta :censored: from them. YOU PAID for the complete kit not half of it. There has been problems with not getting test cd's for a while so if you cant get one from them PM 'Tons of Fun' as he works for MS and should have some spare. If he hasnt PM me and ill burn you one and post it to you for £1.50 ok.

19. Nik1967

Nik1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks D4
    The dealers have promised to deliver the missing accessories ASAP. I'll wait a while to see what goes. I'll get back to you if the CD does not arrive.
    Cheers mate

20. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Send me an address and the CD will be free :).