MS309 setup help needed please

Ian Carter

Established Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of my new MS309 yesterday and it looks great.

My current sub, a cheapo Eltax, just has a single phono line in where as the Mordaunt short has L & R line in and outs.

Where do I put the cable or do I need a new carlos fandango one now with 4 connectors?

Also the (brief) manual talks about a setup disc to set the 'Notch Filter' but I couldn't find one. Is it important? - as I don't even know what it does.

Thanks

I think you can use either of the inputs but someone more learned of the brand will be along on the next bus. :)

"Tons of Fun" will be along later to advise on all matters Mordaunt-Short and I will change your thread title to be sure to catch his attention.

In most subwoofers it doesn't matter whether you use the left or right input socket but I'm afraid that I don't have a clue how to use the notch filter.

Shame on them for not making things clearer in the manual

Ian (J and Carter!) I got a bit carried away and replied in the £250 Sub thread. I've explained briefly what should be going on but my telephone number is at the bottom of the FAQ page on the MS website if people need more help.
Ed

Thanks Tons of Fun.

I actually contacted Peter Tyson, who have in turn contacted MS. PT are now faxing MS with my details and a Serial No of the sub and hopefully MS will be sending me a disc direct.

We'll probably send out a box of them- I'll retain my ones here just in case.

Tons of fun - almost rang you up like you said in the other thread but thought that might be a bit full on.

Slightly off topic - I havn't actually decided on the receiver yet but assuming it will have a variable crossover what would be the best settings for the premiere plus set at the Amp and sub. I'm have no real expierience on these matters and it all seems a bit daunting, but having splashed the cash would like the sound to as good as possible.

Thanks

Another one for any 309 owners

Not tried a movie yet but when watcching NTL in Pro logic, not PL2, with sub set to auto as opposed to ON it switches itself off even when recieving a bass heavy signal ie VH1 etc. Any Ideas?

Ian I have the 309 and have just set the sub crossover at max and used the crossover on my amp. I cant help you with the pro logic question as i dont have cable or pro logic 1 only PL2 and pl2x. The only thing i can assume is its the amp settings with PL.
Does it do the same with the sub set to on??

Thanks Dfour - What i'm finding is that its because I'm listening at moderate volumes - kids in bed - so I think the signal from the amp isn't strong enough. If I turn up the volume the sub kicks in. Need to boost signal somehow. My amp is quite old and the sub level seeme to go from -20db to 0db. Any Ideas?

turn it on properly instead of using the auto option! :clap:

Originally posted by aliflack
turn it on properly instead of using the auto option! :clap:

I second that...As simply moving the switch (off/auto/on) down a notch leaves it on perminantly so theres no annoying clicks every 5 minutes.

Originally posted by Dfour
Ian I have the 309 and have just set the sub crossover at max and used the crossover on my amp.

Jesus....Frequency=max....What about the volume nob on the back of the 309?
When i had freq at 3/4 of the way and vol 3/4 of the way the sub didn't like it and started popping and going into safety mode until switching it off/back on again.
So now i have my freq at 75+ and vol to half and thats fine at all volumes....I 'm totally amazed at how good this sub is at very high vol for the money...The room shakes...Neighbours and family members for some reason i didn't get were really pi**ed:rotfl:

Thanks chaps - I have started leaving it on permanently- just a bit worried if it'll damage the sub/electric bill.

It is a class D amp so the heat build up and power consumption are pretty slight. My AX3 will get far hotter in 2 hours than my 909's that have been on since december.

Just found this thread. I picked up my MS309 sub yesterday and it also has no disc and no specific 309 instruction manual, just a generic Premiere owners manual. Where can I get the disc? Anywhere to download it?

TIA

Send me a PM with an address.

Ed, thanks for the disc it's well appreciated :)

Sorry it's taken me so long to say thanks, don't get much computer time when doing the dreaded nights :s

I dont think leaving the sub on constantly will damage it. My cheapo acoustic solutions sub without auto switch-on has been on contantly since last July!

The manuals can be downloaded from www.morduant-short.co.uk
Go to support then click on the model you have, then click 'download manual as pdf'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom