1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS309 replaced KEF PSW2000

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by phil_evans, Jun 7, 2004.

1. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought that I'd add my comments on the Mordaunt Short MS309. Picked one up on Saturday from RS (£229) because I've never been entirely happy with the performance of the KEF with music - bit too "boomy" for me.

Left the MS309 running in for 10+ hours so far and have to say I'm very pleased with it partnering my 5 KEF eggs. After tweaking the various settings, including the undocumented "notch filter", I'm a lot happier with the performance with music and the movie performance is good too. Listening to the intro to Saving Private Ryan I felt I could hear more detail and clarity in the explosions on the beach.

A recommended upgrade if the KEF standard subwoofer doesn't quite do it for you.

Regards
    Phil

2. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got me one of those babies recently - not only has it sharply improved low end performance, but I can hear more mid-range and treble!?!

if you go to the MS website you can grab a pdf instruction manual that explains the notch filter properly. naughty MS :nono:

sounds so much better when properly calibrated - the frequency sweep is much smoother...

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    In our defence- the notch filter was only included on the 309 at the last minute. We only proved to ourselves that a notch filter still made a difference on a 150w sub. The manual reflects our indecison :blush:.

4. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aliflack - thanks for the pointer to the manual. Will have a further play tonigh but definitely feel I have reduced the boom by ear already (have it set around the 65-70 mark).

Tons of Fun - where do I get the tone-CD from? RS didn't supply one - can I download a .wav file from somewhere and burn my own (or even better, play it through my home PC via digital connection to my amp)?!

Regards
    Phil

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you one :).

6. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ToF - you have PM. Many thanks, Phil