MS309 or 909 for a 5m x 4m x 3m Room?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RichardAllen, Dec 15, 2004.

1. RichardAllen

RichardAllen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'd settled on a Mordaunt-Short MS909 sub for my home-cinema in my lounge, that is 5m long x 4m wide x 3m to ceiling. We sit about 4 m from the amp and TV. I was planning to place the sub behind the telly in the corner.

However, it appears to be a bad idea to place the sub in a corner, due to booming. So, back to sticking it just behind the sofa, so it's only 1m from our ears. The MS909 then seems overkill.

I'm not fussed about volume - don't want to upset my neighbours..... will the MS 309 do the job and save me £££££££ ????

Does T.O.Fun have an opinoin?!

Cheers guys,

Rich

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,667
    The 309 would do a good job under the circumstances but there is a school of thought that the 909 just has a more effortless nature to it. My surviving 909 is placed in a corner and is pretty close to me but works pretty well. It did work better in the opposing corner but proved rather aggravating to my other half.

If you have a dealer that does both, try the 909 first on the understanding you may change down later.

3. RichardAllen

RichardAllen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice, Tons of Fun.

I'll try and find a dealer around Sheffield where I can get a demo.