MS309 Instruction Manual

B

billym

I've recently received this sub which is truly excellent however the specific manual for the MS309 was not included and I can't find any reference to it on the Mordaunt Short website (I believe there used to be a pdf file you could download).

Does anyone have an electronic copy they could email me or point me to where I could find one? I need to know how to set up the notch filters, etc.

Finally, some guidance on cross-over settings. I'm using the Denon AVR-2106 and have the cross-over frequency set to 100MHz; the speakers all set to small (they are the MS Avat Premiere set) and the cross-over on the MS309 set to 200MHz based on previous postings. Does that seem right?

Knyght_byte

normally an active sub only has a crossover for high level connection not for low level LFE connection, the low level is done by the amp (the 100Mhz you said).......

of course i may be wrong and it may have a low level crossover too, cant quite see why it would need one, but hey...lol....if the knob for the crossover on the sub (the one you say you set to 200Mhz) says Hi Level then dont worry, thats an irrelevent knob to you unless you connect your sub from the speaker outputs on the back of the amp as well as by phono to the amps Sub out (for LFE). But as i say, i may be wrong and MS subs work totally different from REL subs....heh...wait for someone else to answer just in case.....i'll have a scout for the pdf for ya, im usually good at finding them when its not for me...lol

Knyght_byte

ok, found the premier manual pdf, but it seems to refer to the 308 not the 309 sub.....
http://www.mordauntshort.com/assets/documents/Premiere_Manual.pdf

assuming yours is similar, you either need to use the low level OR high level, but not both.....but you might wanna check that with another 309 owner, it may be able to...
all i know is a lot of people say REL's are the only ones who manage this effectively and with purpose....at least at lower price ranges anyhow......

anyhow, i think the crossover on the sub might only apply if using high level connections from your amp.........but i may be wrong still...heh...read the manual in the link and see if it sounds like it applies to your setup ;-)

Knyght_byte

or even get hold of mordaunt short and tell them the manual available online doesnt cover your sub, could they possibly email you the pdf of the 309 or snailmail you a manual.....

Knyght_byte

oh, one final thing, it shows the Avant Premier set as having the 909 sub...not the 309, the 309 is part of the Premier set.... which do you definitely have?..lol

B

billym

Thanks for your help here - I already have that manual, it's the dedicated one for the MS309 I need (see page 4 of the one you hyperlinked). The 309 is definitely part of the Premiere Plus set; I have the sub connected to the Amp via a single IXOS sub connect cable - that woudl make it a low leve connection right as the manual refers to high level being where the Amp doesn't have a dedicated sub-connect. :thumbsup:

Knyght_byte

aye, a phono connection is low level, the high level is usually using a few strands of speaker cable......

sadly i couldnt find the right PDF anywhere, MS309 is also a fairly well used component in electronics so most results returned that....lol

Will Scarlet

billym PM me your e-mail. I have a PDF of the MS309 manual you can have. Also, max the crossover on the MS309 (turn the knob all the way clockwise) and let the Denon handle the bass management. Not sure of the frequency response of your speakers, but I'd start at 80 as the crossover point, if possible, and tweak from there.

ParmMann

This might be a bit of a late *bump*, but here goes.

I'm also in need of the 309 manual, my set only came with the 308 manual.
I'd also like to get my hands on the 'setup cd' that the manual refers too, but I didn't get.

I've had the 309 for almost a year now, and it's been working perfectly, but as of yesterday, I've been getting no sound through my sub. :(

B

billym

PM me ParmMann with your email address and I'll send you a copy of the pdf manual. :)

Will Scarlet

Hi ParMann, PM forum member 'Tons of fun', he works for MS and will be glad to forward you a setup CD. A very helpful chap indeed. Good luck.

Trending threads

Top Bottom