• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MS Wireless Network Adapter advice would be great please

TheFantabulator

Established Member
I'm currently using my computer as a bridge and can't improve on a moderate NAT setting so I was thinking of buying the wireless adapter so I can connect directly to my Netgear router.

I have a few questions which forum members will hopefully be able to answer:

1. My console is two floors above the router. I appreciate that the construction of everyone's house means that different materials affect radio waves in different ways but, generally speaking, will this distance allow me to connect and have good signal quality?

2. Has anyone bought a used adapter from ebay? My inclination is to go for brand new as a mate's used adapter wouldn't work on his or my console (and I also think that the used prices asked by ebayers are totally unrealistic for a used bit of kit that is going for £38 new incl p&p on one site!).

Last edited:

dmaidmen

Established Member
I tried the wireless adapter over two floors and the connection was intermittent for me. I still occasional lose connectivity with my laptop but I can put up with that.

I then moved to a bridged connection but didn't have any NAT issues. I was using a Vista PC as the bridge but I wasn't happy with the in game connection and would occasionally suffer lag spikes.

I found that 14/85 meg homeplugs were ok for gaming but not up to streaming media from my PC. I now have some 200 Meg Solwise AV homeplugs and they meet my needs :smashin:

[email protected]

Established Member
Yeah, homeplugs are almost always a safer bet, especially for gaming.

And you're right, the prices of anything PC or tech-related on Ebay are ludicrous. Ebuyer and Amazon are usually cheaper and always less risky.

TheFantabulator

Established Member
I tried the wireless adapter over two floors and the connection was intermittent for me. I still occasional lose connectivity with my laptop but I can put up with that.

I then moved to a bridged connection but didn't have any NAT issues. I was using a Vista PC as the bridge but I wasn't happy with the in game connection and would occasionally suffer lag spikes.

I found that 14/85 meg homeplugs were ok for gaming but not up to streaming media from my PC. I now have some 200 Meg Solwise AV homeplugs and they meet my needs :smashin:

I'm bridging via a Mac running OS X. The computer side of the configuration is very limited - you just enable internet sharing but I've tweaked my router as best as I can and a moderate NAT setting is apparently the best I'll get. It doesn't overly affect my gaming experience but I wonder if I'm missing out on something but not having an open setting.

The homeplugs sound like a good way to set up a flexible home network. Might have to look into those..if the price is right.

dmaidmen

Established Member

TheFantabulator

Established Member
I have a PUSH and a PIGGY6

They are all based on the same technology but have different extra features. I didn't need 13a passthrough for my router so I just went for the PUSH rather than the Piggy. Upstairs I wanted both my PC and Xbox connected so went for the Piggy6 with the integrated switch.

This tech looks far more useful than just having the MS wireless adapter. Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom