1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Premier Pack Sub humms !

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by coolboy, Nov 20, 2003.

1. coolboy

coolboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Mordaunt Short Premier Pack and set it up.

The sub makes a humming noise when on all but the lowest volume level. Still hums when I switch off the amp. Its the first active sub that I have had but it does not seem right to me.

Should it hum ?

Thanks

Coolboy

2. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine doesn't but maybe someone with a Mordaunt Short Sub could shed some real light.
    Can you hear the Humm when your playing something through it...?
    Also did you demo before buying and hear enything odd during that or was it an internet purchase?

3. coolboy

coolboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - when the music or film goes quiet you can hear the hum - its annoying. I did not demo them - just read reviews - and was tempted by the £200 off. I'm sure that this cannot be normal. Could someone with MS PP speakers please confirm before I cart the sub back to the shop .... its quite heavy !!

Thanks in anticipation,

Coolboy

4. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it the 308 or the 309 sub? I.e., the premier or the premier plus pack? Just interested to know.
    Maybe you're experiencing a ground problem? I don't know much about subs yet, but I've heard that some of the subs have ground switches or something on them to sort that out. Did the pack come with a manual or troubleshooting guide?
    Perhaps someone more knowledgable could help you out. Tons of Fun is the MS guy here on the forum. He'd certainly know the answer.
    Hope you get it sorted.
    J

5. coolboy

coolboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the Premier Pack.

Yeah - I am hoping Tons of Fun has some advice. Also advice from anyone else appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Coolboy

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    This is normally an earthing problem and has been known to affect the 308 (and the old MSW20). You can try another 308 to see if its better or check the earthing of the amp/sub. The 309/909 are not affected by this and we are as such trying to "digitise" the 308 by removing the older amp and finding a digital replacement.
    Ed

7. coolboy

coolboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I will do some further experimentation this weekend to see if I can sort it out before trying a replacement sub.
    I will post the outcome.

Cheers

Coolboy

8. coolboy

coolboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took the sub back to the shop. They tested with several different amps and itl worked perfectly with all of them. Difference is that the new amps are double insulated with no earth. Mine is about 12 years old and has an earth so the problem is almost certainly caused by an earth loop through the equipment. Not much I can do - I dont want to disconnect the earth !

So I will probably have to put up with it until I get a new AV amp early next year - when I can raise the cash .

Coolboy

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If you are prepared to put in the effort, tracking and curing the source of hum is within most peoples efforts.
    There are a million pages on how to achieve this (to save me the effort).
    Sky boxes are a prime source as are T.V amplifiers feeding multiple sets.
    If correctly dealt with, hum can be greatly reduced EVEN with class 2 and earthed appliances present.

Regards

Steven

10. coolboy

coolboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most people recommend throwing the Ground Lift Switch (which my Sub has not got) or using a trick adapter plug to isolate the earth (which sounds like a safety compromise). I am however concerned that if I do nothing I will damage the sub :(

Coolboy

11. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    and i'm not the MS guy!!! :( ms860/504/903/304/ms30iclassic!!!
    yeh we have the ms308 sub at work but it only hums with a poor quality sub lead

try a screened Black Rhodium First Base one at £25