1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Outlook Express Query...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Feb 1, 2003.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Not really HCPC related but hopefully someone in here will be able to help me out anyway :)

I've just been given all the relevant information by my uni so that I can configure Outlook Express to download, and send e-mails for me when I use my laptop. Now, I've followed all the instructions to the letter, and everythings working fine for sending and receiving new e-mails, but none of the e-mails I've archived on the current Uni webmail system get downloaded. Does that make sense??!!

Is there anything I can do to get MS Outlook Express to download my personal folders off of the server when it checks for new e-mails? I use a mixture of webmail and Outlook so I'd like it to update my folders each time, and keep a record of all my mails on my laptop.

Not sure if I've explained that too well so feel free to ask me for more information!!

Also, what's the difference between Outlook, and Outlook Express?!!?!! :confused:

Thanks in advance... Kelvin :D

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should configure Outlook to use IMAP rather than POP3. That way, the mail stays on the server and Outlook just lets you manipulate it. If it's POP3 then it only downloads what's in your inbox and either deletes as soon as it downloads or leaves all mail there (according to options you set) - either way, it gets messy. IMAP.... :smashin:

Outlook v Outlook Express - more functionality in Outlook and integrated calendar, etc. Better contacts management too.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the reply SG :)

Will I definitely be able to use IMAP as opposed to POP3? I've never used Outlook before so it's all a bit new to me... :blush: Or will that depend on what the University lets me do? I've managed to configure outlook to leave a copy of any e-mails it downloads on the server for me to pick up on my webmail account, but to be totally honest it's proving to be more hassle than it's worth at the moment!! If I could just download a copy of everything thats there... it'd be perfect!

Why is nothing ever simple!!! ;) :p

Never mind... :) Thanks again for the reply...

Kelvin. :D

4. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    how about forwarding everything in the other folders to yourself from your uni webmail, then downloading all those which will end up in your inbox to outlook express?

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on uni's UNIX mail server, but IMAP should be configured for use. Try it and see - Outlook will soon complain if your uni mail server doesn't support IMAP.

Nutcase makes a good point as well. If you have played about with the mailbox folders (directories) on the server, then Outlook won't pick them up anyway as it only look for it's own folders and the inbox by default. Not sure about POP3, but with IMAP you can direct it to look at other folders ;) Certainly can in Outlook so should be possible in Outlook Express too.

6. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you've used outlook express then you'll be familure with the email aspect of Outlook.

Definitely worth using the full version if you have access to it.

Outlook Express V's Outlook is a bit like Works Vs Word.

No contest.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed Desticado.

But one thing that Outlook Express has going for it over Outlook is that you can create multiple identities which you can switch between without logging out from Windows.

Can't do that in Outlook :(

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks a lot guys :) All sorted now.

I initially tried configuring Outlook Express to use IMAP but it didn't seem to like it - it updated new emails in the inbox fine, but kept asking me to select which folders of mine I wanted visible, and then wouldn't update them automatically :(

Tried the same thing in Outlook and it worked perfectly first time :confused: Just been checking it by moving some things around, and then checking it on the webmail system and everythings working perfectly :)

Like the look of Outlook so far too - scary thing is that it may actually begin to organise my life for me!! :eek: ;)

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.. the forum's come up trumps again ;) :smashin: :D

Kelvin