Ms. Marvel (Disney+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas. I have zero interest in this one but I know full well I'll be watching it - primarily incase I need to for continuity purposes.

I am pleased though it's received some positive feedback thus far. I watched the trailer a bit back and thought this one ain't for me.

As an Asian man myself, I found a lot of this quite relatable, lots of little background/throwaway dialogue lines in Urdu were cracking me up.
I thought this was so much fun, I had a blast with it.
I’ve told my sister and mum to watch it too, I think they’ll get a lot out of it :thumbsup:

As an Asian man myself, I found a lot of this quite relatable, lots of little background/throwaway dialogue lines in Urdu were cracking me up.
I thought this was so much fun, I had a blast with it.
I’ve told my sister and mum to watch it too, I think they’ll get a lot out of it :thumbsup:

Agreed, it went down great with the family. The scene where she first talks to her mum and dad about the party was the highlight, and then brings the brother into the equation.

"I want to go to a party."
"Is this a joke? Are we on video? Is your brother recording this for the internet?"

I'll keep this brief. Had already filed it under 'definitely not for me', but thought I'd give it a look just in case. Really glad I did. This is a beautifully put together show with genuine warmth and humour. And I loved all the extra effort the creators went to with animation and in-world text messaging etc.

Like many shows these days it all comes down to how much the creators care. That care is in evidence throughout this first episode. Really liked it. I would concur with your score, Cas.

Last edited:
Glad this reviewed well, I'm a sucker for anything Marvel but you never know when/if the next series will drop the ball, especially with new characters.

I watched an interview with Iman on Jimmy Fallon and she is pretty much the perfect person for the role. First acting role too.

Haven't watched the first episode yet but will definitely catch it tonight.

Watched this last night as well. I enjoyed it - I would say this is geared for a different demographic than me. But it was fun so will keep on watching - George

Enjoyed your review again Cas, thank you!

Looking forward to watching this one! My 6 year old daughter was massively hooked by the trailer and has been very excited to watch it - glad it’s not a turkey!

Really enjoyed that first episode, far more than any of the other recent Marvel shows for sure. Likeable cast, genuinely funny dialogue, and a great style to it - I loved the little background animation details. I watched the brief making of show after and Iman's enthusiasm for the character really comes through on screen. I'll definitely be sticking with this.

I'm familiar with the character from the comics but not read any, so I'm not sure about the origin of her powers, but I can understand why they changed them up a bit, if only for something that's more visually impressive on screen. Plenty of other MCU characters have diverged from the comics, usually for the better.

I wasn't that interested in checking it out, but I was already signed in on Disney+ to watch Obi-Wan Kenobi, so I thought "What the hey...?" and it wasn't bad at all. Iman Vellani's Kamala Khan character is spunky, good-natured, and likable. Guess I'll be watching two shows on Disney+ on Wednesdays for the next few weeks. 😊

Just watched episode,feel fresh and fun.
First time i heard about Kamala Khan was in Avengers game and i like this char.
For start this is 9/10 much better than many other tv shows for now 🥂

Yeah, in a time when even some of the most hardened MCU fans are getting a little jaded, this was a breath of fresh air and I really enjoyed it.

This was a lot of fun, family really enjoyed it. Like Ant Man, it's firmly in the lighter side if Marvel and that's fine with us. Hope you all caught the mid credits scene...

If they needed an MCU coming of age show for teen girls that checks boxes, this is it. But as I'm not one, I felt way out of my comfort zone and would rather endure Wandavision. /Lie

If they needed an MCU coming of age show for teen girls that checks boxes, this is it. But as I'm not one, I felt way out of my comfort zone and would rather endure Wandavision. /Lie
"Endure" is the correct word for Wandavision. I was glad that superhero soap opera was over.

liked the first episode, but ep 2 was shoving so much "representation" in my face it was getting tiresome. Unfortunately seems to be a bit of a trend atm, as said above probably more suited to a different age group than me too, will give it another episode.

I don't think it is shoving representation in our faces. It's literally a show about a Muslim superhero and, as such, can be argued to be ground breaking.

I don't think it is shoving representation in our faces. It's literally a show about a Muslim superhero and, as such, can be argued to be ground breaking.
I agree. I liked seeing the stuff about Kamala's culture and whatnot. I thought it was fascinating.

Third episode made me smile even more then two before ❤️
So unique feeling,i hope they will not ruin this going further....

I'm still enjoying it. The actual plot is probably the least interesting part, but I really like the characters and humour.

Agree. It’s not shoving anything in our faces.

Would the same criticism be held if it was a Christian family and featured them in a church? No, is the answer.

Why when a show features something that isn’t a straight white Christian man is it always ‘shoving it in our faces’?

Agree. It’s not shoving anything in our faces.

Would the same criticism be held if it was a Christian family and featured them in a church? No, is the answer.

Why when a show features something that isn’t a straight white Christian man is it always ‘shoving it in our faces’?
to clarify, I would have the same criticism actually, and I wasn't specifically talking about religion either, which is what comments seem to imply. I just feel that sometimes Disney go out of the way to explain/show how representative they are, which can feel a bit forced/cringe IMO. I still cringe at the "girl power" scene in Endgame for example, all the female heroes where awesome without needing that "girl power" scene, it (IMO) felt forced and unnecessary. Again, I'm probably not the target demographic for Ms Marvel, as I cant really relate to a young teenage girl/coming of age style story.

Good God, was I wrong to dismiss this show!Thoroughly enjoying it...however...

I have noticed a major problem with Dolby Vision on this show!Episode was very dull, then episode 2....wow!So much colour and pop!Sadly, episode 3 went dull again, like somebody had switched off HDR.I'm watching via the app on my LG CX, so switched to the app on the Series X, still the same.Very strange!

Just watched an episode per night as I’d run out of “bigger stuff” to watch on Disney +. I wasn’t expecting much but I enjoyed the whole thing.

I didn’t get the feeling things were being forced on me - as others have said the culture is right for the family and settings and no different to muslims watching 99.99% of content that centres around western/Christian characters/homes etc.

I’ll be happy without another series - only because I am looking forward to the character getting into the films though. That should hopefully make it more appealing to those that felt it was a bit pushy on culture etc too. Roll on 28 July 2023 :)

The mid credit scene was one of the least surprising I’ve seen from Marvel to be honest - I was surprised that character didn’t turn up during the series in some kind of cameo……

Really enjoyable nonsense overall - what the MCU is all about IMHO. 8.5/10…….. maybe 9.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom