1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS License Question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Dec 30, 2004.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but I thought i'd ask anyway...

I have a copy of Office XP (Student and Teacher Edition) which has been installed on my laptop for the last 2 years. As a result of a few "issues" of late with the laptop, i'm now moving everything across to a desktop and would like (ideally) to transfer Office from one, to the other.

I know that the version of Office that I have only licences me to use the software on one machine, but I can't find anything in the EULA which relates to transferring the software to an alternate machine. Transfer to another individual is prohibited but that's as close as I can find.

Does anyone know if I can do this?

K.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What the legal minutiae are I wouldn't know, M$ take every opportunity to rip money from you, like saying an OEM copy on Windows isn't transferable even if the machine is scrapped ... something I happily ignore in the EULA, it's no skin off Gates' nose if I'm running the copy I paid for in the price of one PC on a different one, why should I pay the Windows tax twice?

However, normal retail versions of products, and AFAIK the 'student' edition is simply a lower-priced retail copy, hava no ties whatsoever to a specific PC so that de-installing (or scrapping) from one PC and moving on to another can't possibly be counter to anything in the EULA.

And as you've noted, if there's nothing in the EULA the explicitly prevents something then by definition you are allowed to do it.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the reply KraGorn :)

My main concern was that it would fail to activate once installed - I guess I can only try :) I often find that a reinstall requires me to phone MS as registering online often fails to work for me :rolleyes: I don't especially want to be put in a position where i'm told over the phone that what i'm doing is wrong/not permitted!

K.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In that case lie. :D

Ultimately there's no way for the software to know that you're installing it on a different PC. After all, just what is a different PC? If your laptop's motherboard fails and is replaced, is that a different PC? What about the hard disk? etc. etc.

M$ fingerprints the PC by looking at the CPU, the network card, the hard disk, the graphics card and other things, after a certain number of changes are made it'll force re-activation ... a different PC is simply changing many of those things at once, but that could equally be the case by replacing a mobo with on-board network card and graphics chip.

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think it's slightly different with applications, from memory you USED to be able to have multiple copies of office on different machines ie PC in office and at home and the licence was for concurrent usage ie you can only use one copy of office at any one time. I didn't think it had changed with the XP versions of Office, could be wrong though :blush:

Steve

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks again for the replies :) Looks like it may well come down to a "lets see what happens" attempt ;) I have a bit of time before I *need* to get office onto the desktop so maybe i'll try and find out a bit more information :)

Cheers guys,

K.

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It is very much a case of one license, one PC - but as mentioned, it does depend on the wording in the license. Mostly licenses allow you to use it on one machine at any one time - mostly due to Laptop/Desktop type scenarios.

Microsoft probably won't have an issue with it. I'd be surprised if your activation didn't work, and if it didn't, they aren't complete demons and will probably sort it out if you phone them (if activation fails). They are only unreasonable normally over counterfeit product, which if you look at it from their POV, is fair enough (They didn't ACTUALLY rip you off by selling counterfeit products - I'm sure Nike et al wouldn't give you the real thing either)

8. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm sure I saw on the boxes of the student teracher version that it says licenced for use on up to 3 PCs.

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    AFAIK you can get single use and multi-use student/teacher versions ...

10. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    In addition to the above, I'm also pretty sure that the latest version of Office (2003) allows you to install the Student edition on more than one machine (in accordance with "concurrent usage" described above).

I have the older, Office XP :)

K.