MS IE6 & this esteemed forum

suzywong

Standard Member
Reaction score
OK chaps and chapettes,

I've done summat wrong wit me PC!

PC runs Windoze XP Pro Sp2 & all the latest "must have" critical downloads from those jolly fine chaps in Redmond!

I've got two problems with IE6

1. on these esteemed forums. I usually use the quick links to get to the "main list" of latest posts, and then select a thread to read. So far so good. If I then use the IE6 "back arrow" button to attempt to return to the main list of posts, nothing happens for the first and second clicks....the third will always return to the main list. I've noticed that during the first & second clicks, the status bar at the bottom flashes the loopback adress of 127.0.0.1......

2. if I type www.<website> into the address box and hit either the return key or the "go" button, nothing happens. If I type http://www.<website> into the address box and hit either the return key or the "go" button then I immediately go to the desired website. I've checked the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windoze\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix & HKLM\.....\Prefixes keys in the registry & they appear to be correct.....

So what have I missed?

May be a networking component/DNS issue

look at ipconfig/all - are the dns servers correct?
Try ipconfig/release (from dos prompt) then ipconfig/renew

I do not know how you connect to th'internet (wireless etc.)

ufitsy said:
May be a networking component/DNS issue

look at ipconfig/all - are the dns servers correct?
Try ipconfig/release (from dos prompt) then ipconfig/renew

I do not know how you connect to th'internet (wireless etc.)

Tried ipconfig....no change.

Connection to internet is via ethernet to an Intertext IX66 router/firewall & thence to NTL 2Mb. Spyware checker is Webroot's Spysweeper and virus checker is Mcafee Virus scan. Firewall is provided by the IX66, no software firewall is installed.

I've continued investigating the two problems.

Regarding the problem specific to this forum with the back arrow toolbar button, I've noticed thatif I use the down-arrow part of that button to get the list of previous urls, there's alway one or more entries of http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adi/N2806 at the top of the stack, so that when I'm trying to return to the previous forum page, the first one (or more often two) click tries to access the infamous doubleclick spyware.

Regarding the URL prefixes problem, I've found that if I type the URL without prefix and then hit either the return key or the go button, then IE will eventually add the prefix and merrily trot off to the URL and download it as normal. However I'm waiting ten seconds for it to do this; the delay is the bit I can't explain.

Have you tried the 'Tech Support Guy' forum, I've found many a solution on there.

http://www.helponthe.net/

have a mooch around the forums there.

"If I then use the IE6 "back arrow" button to attempt to return to the main list of posts, nothing happens for the first and second clicks....the third will always return to the main list. I've noticed that during the first & second clicks, the status bar at the bottom flashes the loopback adress of 127.0.0.1......"

I don't get an address bar with IP address at the bottom like you but it does take me 3 clicks to go back.
Interestingly if I log onto our company network (via VPN logon) and then browse these forums it only requires 1 click to go back.
I have not bothered to fathom this out but it's been like that for a few months.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

IE is c***. The history don't even work. I can type in "av" in add bar (firefox), and I'll get last 6 avforums sections. IE on the other hand...

I only keep IE for Microsoft patches. That Microsoft only allow IE (and validation) is just vindictive and sour grapes by their part

Chris,
I'd guess company LANS will not be affected because they will be effectively blocking the doubleclick spyware with their advanced firewalls.Because you VPN into your company LAN, then surf back out through the work gateway, it gets around the doubleclick.net problem.

- If you un-checked 'use default gateway on remote network' on your VPN connection, it would likely cause the 3-click behaviour to come back..?

Suzy,
If you bung an exclusion entry in your hosts file it will achieve the same effect, but it would also block any adverts served up by doubleclick.net

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom