Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

MS Genies with Denon AVR-3805

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Santy, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone try the Genie's with AVR-3805 Denon - I'm dead set on this amp but puzzled over speakers to buy...

It is a problem getting a decent 'local' (ish) shop to demo Amps / Speakers (I live in Cheshire)...

If I go for this speaker package though, it may blow all of my plans out of the water...

Wanted a charcoal P 6 or 7 Series Plasma to go, not keen on Silver Sep system but feel that 3805 looks better in Silver, can anyone advise?

May push me down the P7 in silver route although black plasma's lok better in my opinion - Doh!

Confusing Myself now... :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    i am going for the exact same system to match my pany pw6. but also in the same boat as you as i still have to managed to get a demo on these.

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon is a hell of an amp, and in my opinion, capable of doing justice to more expensive speakers.

If I was you, I would do either of the following:

1) If you're dead set on the Denon, buy a more expensive speaker package. This amp is capable of driving much bigger, better, speakers. I reckon you would probably be wasting the amps potential.

2) If you definately want the MS package, which i'm sure is excellent for a satellite setup, you could save your money and go for something like the Yamaha 750, which I reckon would match them perfect. Or if you definately want a Denon, the next model down, the 2805, would be more than enough for the speakers.

4. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MS-YAM

Take on board what your saying, and thanks for the post... Basically, have a small front room right now, and don't want to exploit amp to full necessarily in my current property...

However, amp purchase for some degree of 'future proofing' (i.e. 6.1 & 7.1 with all ticks in correct boxes, i.e. DTS, Doby Digital, etc., etc.).

When I move, I simply buy a bigger speaker package or extend 5.1 to 7.1...

Don't really see point in buying amp twice upon moving. Also, not a label thing, but I like cool set-up's in terms of look & feel of entire package.

Think if I go down Genie route though I will go for a silver P7 Pana anyway, was originally charcoal P6 due to release date, but with speakers and AV amp in aluminium...

Make sense?

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Have you tried the M&K K series speakers? Awesome for the money and dont look too bad either IMHO. Your local Sevenoaks should have them in and possibly have them set up with the Denon 3805 as well :thumbsup:

6. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sevenoaks Jack Daw?

Never heard of that outlet, where are they based please? Wouldn't mind demo of any kit with the 3805 to be honest...

Makes me kinda nervous spending 4k of plasma and HC set-up without having seen P7 Pana and 3805...

:rolleyes:

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Genie is designed like all of our products to continue to improve as better amplification is thrown at it so I wouldn't rule out a Denon 3805 because of a presupposed imbalance in price. I have every intention of connecting my Genie to a Marantz SR8500 when the latter becomes available. Of course my Genie won't arrive until December so there isn't a rush.

8. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons of Fun,

Thanks for your reply. Is there a delay in getting Genie's at the moment? Also, who is the most likely to have them in stock immediately please? Definately need to install before Xmas, no supply, I will have to choose another product...

:(

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I have a black 3805 and it looks gorgeous...I had a Gold 3803 before and much prefer the black look.

Cheers, Lee

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    The first decent sized batch should be arriving into stores very shortly. The first set were airfreighted which meant the numbers were strictly limited. Mine won't arrive until December because none are available for staff purchase until then.

11. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sevenoaks are a nationwide hi-fi franchise. Not sure if there is one in your area or not. Its not listed HERE :)

12. BertRacoon

BertRacoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Santy, I live in Cheshire too, and had a few problems finding somewhere to demo the speakers, but Practical HiFi have some, there are several stores around Manchester/Cheshire... just don't nick the one waiting for me in the shop ;)

13. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    So what do you think the staff purchase price would be?

Thanks

14. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    There is no way in hell I'm telling you that! :rotfl:

15. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    must be about cost price.

probably about 1/3 of what we pay?

16. dknorseman

dknorseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Santy, if I may ask: I'm in the same position that you were in. Not sure of what speakers to match with an AVR-3805. Did you end up going for Genies ?

Rgds