1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Genies with a REL Storm MK1 - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GOODMAP, Nov 3, 2004.

1. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm going to be downsizing my home cinema setup next year when the lounge is to be decorated and reorganized. I currently have some very large MS floorstanders for the fronts and matching centre and rears which will all need to go but I also have a REL Storm Mk1 which I would hate to give up - the TV is to repositioned into a corner of the room and I simply will not have room to accommodate the current speakers.

The MS Genies have grabbed my attention (yet to be auditioned though) and I am wondering if it would be best for me to buy them seperately without the sub and run them in partnership with the Rel Storm. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be a good idea or not? I'm worried if the overall sound of the Genies will be compromised by not using the MS sub.

I look forward to your thoughts.
    Thanks.
    Phil.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    With the proviso that I haven't heard a REL Storm, I can say with confidence that the Genies will work with any decent subwoofer that operates happily up to their 80hz crossover. I don't think you will have a problem.

3. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tons of Fun.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Is anyone of the opinion that I would be better off replacing the Rel Storm with the MS sub for sound quality/experience reasons and not just aesthetic reasons - the Rel storm is a very large ugly box to try to hide?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The current price of a REL Storm is between £900 and £1,000 dependant on finish whilst the MS sub is under half of that so is unlikely to be as good even allowing for the fact that the Storm is a much older design.

I had a Storm 1 with Def Tech satellites and a good combination it was too.

5. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Having heard the Genie system, it does integrate superbly well with the sub, and this seems to be a much-featured comment in all the reviews i have read of it.
    i have a feeling you would lose this integration if you partnered the satellites with the REL, after all, it was undoubtedly designed to work best as a complete system!

Adam.

6. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the replies. If I was to start off by buying the satellite speakers on their own, and then decided that I wanted the matching sub, would I be spending more in total versus the package price of £799 (assuming I didn't find it cheaper)? I have yet to find a stockist that is selling these priced seperately (not that i have searched very hard).

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I disagree. Tons of Fun (who represents the manufacturer) has said that the satellites should work satisfactorily with any subwoofer that extends up to their 80Hz crossover.

80Hz is also the THX recommended crossover and all quality subs should be able to extend up to that frequency without any trouble at all.

I haven't read any reviews on the satellites but my recommendation is given on the basis that I have run Def Tech and M&K satellites along with a REL Storm and the integration with both was excellent.

8. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try here . I would keep the storm personally unless you want your sub a bit smaller and silver.
    Provided you set it up carefully it should integrate perfectly. Anything with a larger driver might be a problem but the storm driver is the same size as the genie sub driver...so should'nt present ant probs.

9. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Grif. It looks like I would only save £150 by not getting the MS409 sub in the package so I woud probably be better off buying the 5.1 package and if desired selling the sub afterwards on ebay or something.

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That sounds like a great plan :)

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A better subwoofer is always better, unless you need to xover very high, and I mean above 120hz or so...