1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Genies with a different sub?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adlopa, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a recent house move, I'm considering upgrading my elderly Tannoy M3/M1/MC set-up to a satellite system (the Tannoys are a bit too imposing for the room and are probably due for an upgrade anyway). I like the look of the MS Genies but I'd want to use my exisiting REL Q100E sub, since I figure it's better than the one supplied with the Genies. I don't imagine that there'll be any problems with this but does anyone have the definitive word..?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    No problem at all. I ran my Genies with a B&W PV1 for a while before I had to give it back.

3. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    :eek:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Definitive word on what ?

Tons of fun may have given his opinion on the compatability but neglected to mention whether or not the REL Q100 is better than the one supplied with the Genies.

The Q100 was an excellent sub in it's day but that day was a few years ago now and subwoofer technology has marched onwards since then. Don't dismiss the matching MS sub without giving it an audition as you may well be very surprised

5. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Don't forget that the Genie system was designed as exactly that - a system.

There's no reason why the REL shouldn't work well with the Genie sats but, as Ian says, you don't know what you might be missing out on if you don't check out the whole package!

Adam.

6. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I will check out the Genie sub, since if I do buy the Genies, it doesn't make financial sense to buy just the satellites separately -- the 5.1 package is far better value.

7. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What about recomendations for the genies as a 7.1 system with either floorstanders or standmounters for the main fronts/stereo pair please?
    I love the look of the genies but my kids like to play music loud and blew my last jamo satellites. I appreciate I could go for extra genies for the centre rears, but thought I could avoid future damage by matching with a larger front pair. They would need to match visually (love the genie center!) and obviously (most importantly) also tonally (where I am totally lost - probably even mispelled tonally) :blush:
    I hope to combine with a yamaha 2500/ denon3805/arcam250 amp in a room aprox 4.5m x 6m

Any help :lease: muuuch appreciated :thumbsup: