1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Genie - the good and the bad

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by s3jkd, Nov 18, 2004.

1. s3jkd

s3jkd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had these for 10 days now, and I am very impressed by them, not least for their musicality - something I did not expect.

However, the subwoofer died last night, and I was understandably furious. A check on the 'subwoofer' forum showed that a blown internal fuse was the most likely explanation - this has plagued MS309s.

Had a look and - yes, a blown 1.6A fuse. MS know that it needs a 2.5A fuse, so why are brand new machines being supplied underspecced. As a matter of urgency, MS should send a new fuse kit to all Genie owners, with an apology.

I think part of the explanation lies in using 'auto', which switches the thing on and off repeatedly. I'm just going to leave it on now.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Please send me a PM with an address and you can have the fuse and should you wish, the apology as well.

I am not keen to discuss the company's production policy at length but I will say that the 409 was signed off before the matching speakers so the first production batch almost certainly were built before the complete changeover to the 2.5amp fuse.
    Ed

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons,

Can you please tell me whether all 309s currently in stock throughout the UK now have the correct fuse, as I may soon be buying one.

thanks

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    You'd be pretty unlucky to find one now but if in doubt I now have millions of 2.5amp fuses to send around.

5. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...can't say fairer than that !

6. andre 3000

andre 3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tons
    just seen this thread and thankfully now know what happened to my genie sub the other night. i found a t3.12 fuse and iam using that for the time being, but would like the 2.5 to be sure of safety..also is it fine to leave the sub on all the time.cheers.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Send me a PM and I will send you a 2.5 amp out.
    Ed

8. kcsim

kcsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the very same problem after 10 days with the sub in Auto mode. Checked the fuse and true enough, it was blown.
    Tried changing it myself with 1.5A fuse and blown 2 since before I found the solution here.

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes just leave the sub on all the time. Mine stayed on for 4 months after the fuse blew on my 309 and never had any problems. I feel the sub performs better when not set to auto anyway so you win both ways.:smashin: Being a class D amp it doesnt use a lot of juice on standby and doesnt get hot/overheat:D

10. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good news on the musicality. Please can you tell us what amp you're using? I'm thinking of partnering Genies with Denon 2105 - does anyone have any views on this combo? I'll be listening to movies/stereo cd 50:50. Not looking for amazing bass (though presumably the sub will fill in this department) as in past I've had Pioneer A400 amp feeding small but excellent Mission 760s.

Thanks for any advice,

Adrian

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    You won't have any problems with the Denon 2105 running the speakers, but if music is important to you then maybe think along the lines for Marantz receivers.

12. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - the Marantz 4500 is also on the shortlist! Not sure why Marantz doesn't get mentioned as often on this forum as Denon or Yamaha. Can remember a time when the 4400 was held in very high regard.

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    The Marantz amps this time around are a very nice group of units so are well worth a listen but I can't argue with the reviews that Denon are getting at the moment although the 2105 is the first of their amps I actually like- it is all good from there on though.