1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Genie subwoofer - Setup?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by madunphy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. madunphy

madunphy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

recently purchased the genie speaker system and am eager to get it up and running. Before I start, I'm a total novice so these questions might sound stupid, but I'll ask:

When configuring the Notch-Filter, do the sub's volume & frequency dials have to be at any particular settings before following the six steps (i.e load cd, spl meter etc..)

Also once configured how do I go about correctly setting the sub's volume & frequency dials? The speakers are being connected to an arcam AVR200 receiver.

Thanks for any advice

regards

Mike

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Set the sub level up first using the supplied SPL (or a better one if you have it). Then use the CD to run the tones and follow the instructions.

My email is at the bottom of the MS faq page if you have any further questions.

3. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Madunphy :hiya:

Find the cut/off frequency for the front channels note this on paper, and a CD test disc with some spot frequency sine wave tones, using this will make the task go smoothly as possible, if you don’t have a test disc try the local library and see if they have a test disc.

First set the master fader volume to 75dbc by playing wideband pink noise using a calibration disc once the front speakers have been set to 75dbc each one in turn, to slow weighting. :thumbsup:

Then leaving the master fader volume in the position, play the wideband pink noise for the sub bass LFE, and keeping the SPL meter in the same position, and switch the range on it to 80db turn the SPL meter around so that you can see the needle on it. :thumbsup:

Now turn the volume level up on the sub bass, until the it registers 85dbc slow weighting,

Once noted the cut/off frequency is say for argument sake 50Hz on the main speakers and the centre channel cut/off is 80Hz or 60Hz then set the crossover frequency on the sub bass for that frequency, and play the wideband pink noise on the sub bass again if the level as dropped of the turn the volume up on the sub bass, now it’s set just about, if you want to use a EQ along with a real time analyzer and microphone to set the sub bass’s response to a flat line by using cuts on the EQ, and once all that can be done to it note the volume on the SPL meter and if it as yet again dropped down turn the volume up so it reads 85dbc slow weighting done. :thumbsup:

Hope this may have been to some positive use to you if you only leaved down the road from me I could do this for you in a few hours time, but follow the words written done and you should have things going soon. :smashin:

One other mater the sub bass should be able to play the high levels up to +110dbc at best without strain or distortion popping, and play the lowest octave down to around 25Hz or lower some resent films like I’ robot the day after tomorrow have some exclusive low end down to 25Hz and the sub should not have, an excursion sound to it just reproducing the tone! :thumbsup:

I am a former cinema projectionist. :)

Ashley… :)

4. madunphy

madunphy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been almost a year since I started this thread!!

Update: Well I followed the process described to me (i.e meter, cd etc), but I'm still getting **** all bass from the unit!! The Subwoofer unit can take 2 inputs but my ARV200 only have 1 output to the sub. Is there a way to test the ARV200 to make sure its providing a signal and then is there a way to check if the MS subwoofer is functioning correctly?

Sorry for the quick reply, I'm in a bit of a rush.

Thanks

Mike