1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Genie connection

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nicklang, Jun 17, 2005.

1. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I just bought a 7.1 Genie set up.

however I only have a 6.1 amp so I don't know how to set up the rears for the best,

to go with the standard 6.1 like this with rear centre connected normaly

[] [] []

or can I put the speakers in 7.1 and connect two speakers to the same single output (rear centre) or will this mess up the sound distribution/output?

like this [] [] [] []

:confused:

Thanks

Oh yeas and what speaker cable? is QED micro okay?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    no, you cant connect 2 speakers to one port without volume/impedance problems depending how you wire it. 6.1 will be fine. sell the other one on here/ebay, lots of people will be looking for a 6.1 upgrade. what amp have you got out of interest?

3. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    An SR6200 marantz. Itsnice musicaly and fair with movies. I'd like to upgrade but have other items to get first :D

4. Drone Cone

Drone Cone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing wrong with wiring 2 speakers in series for 7.1 mate.
    It will put half the strain on your amp due to double impedance and will work just as well as a 7.1 amp.

The levels should be adjusted to suit, although having the two speakers in close proximity (and in phase), will gain +3db (you will loose half when wiring in series, but get the power back accoustically).

Give it a try, If it dunny wrk, sell the single speaker.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    does he know how to wire it in series tho. in parallel and the amp will struggle.

6. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "does he know how to wire it in series tho. in parallel and the amp will struggle."

He didn't :)

but I guess it's

[​IMG]

I will certainly try this :smashin:

Incidentily can you answer a question I have posed before but have not had an answer to:-

I want to have the 5.1 genies connected to the SR 6200 and the pair of Missions connected to a Stereo amp so that for movies I'll only use the genies but for CD i'll use all speakers at the same time in the same room
    (sort of like 8 channel stereo I suppose)

So what I need to know is if I can connect my av receiver and a sereo amp together to play from the same source without it sounding messed up.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yes thats how to wire it, just dont connect them both directly to the speaker terminals!

does the amp have pre-outs? If so just connect the Left and Right ones to the stereo AMP. This will mean that you can use the power amp to power the left and right speakers for movies and music, through the Marantz. It will make movies sound a lot better as well, because it frees up a lot of load on the amp which it can then use for the centre speaker, rears and surround back channel (which you will now be pushing quite hard!)