MS Genie centre and Sky+

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lee1974, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Lee1974

Lee1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys. Does anyone have any knowledge of placing a Mordaunt-Short Genie centre speaker on top a Sky+ box? I know the speaker is magnetically shielded, but is it advisable to put it just above the hard drive, or is it going make the whole stop working?

Thanks.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Can't think why although I have no idea how robust the top casing of the box is with regards to the weight of the speaker.

3. Lee1974

Lee1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Ed. The Sky box seems to hold the weight ok, so I'll give it a go for now.

4. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    my sky box, a panasonic 31 has vent holes on the top so if yours is similar i would ensure there is some bit of ventilation.

gbmitie

5. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, Lee1974. :)

This probably depends on the make of Sky+ box you have. :)

The way to tell is this: if there is a circular pattern on the top of the Sky+ box, it's a Pace; if there a many air vents on top, it's an Amstrad; if there are no air vents on top and only has them on the side, it's a Thomson; and if it has “160” plastered on the front, it's a Thomson, which I have! :) The Thomson and Pace models should have not problem with anything being placed on top of them, although the metal used on them isn't particularly strong – just try pushing down slightly on the top of the Sky+ box to see what I mean.

I wouldn't personally put anything on top of the Amstrad models, which usually have lots of air vents on top. I've had two Amstrads, and they both became rather hot on top despite having plenty of clearance. The best boxes in my opinion are the Thomson ones (made in the UK no less), but we'll leave that discussion for another time! ;)

If the Sky+ can hold the weight of the speaker, just check it's all OK regarding ventilation and that there's no difference between how warm the box was before having the speaker on top and how warm it is now. All Sky+ boxes can become pretty warm, what with the hard disk and highly integrated circuitry inside.

I don't think the hard disk will throw a wobbly either – just a thought.  Hmmm… although it might get upset if you put a subwoofer on top of the Sky+ box… LOL Then again, you'd crush your Sky+ box that way… ;)
    Hope this helps and everything works fine. :)

Regards,

Carl :)

6. Lee1974

Lee1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys. My Pace v2 box has been happily working away with the centre on top of it for over a week. Sounds great, I just have to finish tacking the speaker cable around the room now.