MS Excel Question - but not the usual sort

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a method (including add-on applications) that will allow you to easily and reliably enter a stream of numbers into consecutive cells using speech.

I've tried Windows Speech Recognition and is it okay, but it is a little cumbersome to use. Two annoying features are that you have to say 'Enter' after each number which is a little irritating, but most annoying if you say "2" it puts "Two" into the cell even if you have specified the cell format as integer numbers - Microsoft's proposed solution is to say "Numeral" before each number

So say I wanted to enter a string of numbers "4 6 1 0" into cells A1, A2, A3, A4 I would have to say

"Numeral 4 enter numeral 6 enter numeral 1 enter numeral 0 enter insert"

And it becomes more cumbersome and time consuming than entering using the keyboard.

What I'd really like is

(1) To just be able to say "4 6 1 0 insert" - with suitable gaps so it is recognising that they are new numbers

(2) for it to insert horizontally, so into B3, C3, D3, E3

Anyone know of anything that will do that?

Cheers,

Nigel

I have just googled "Speech Recognition Visual Basic" and got lots of hits. It looks as though it would be perfectly possible to write your own add-on in VB or C# using the MS SR engine, but I'd have to do a lot more research to find out how easy or reliable it would be. You'd have to add your own correction and manipulation facilities as well.

It would be pretty complex, so would take a fair bit of time. There may be downloadable proto-apps or controls to give you a start.

Does anyone know of a method (including add-on applications) that will allow you to easily and reliably enter a stream of numbers into consecutive cells using speech.

I've tried Windows Speech Recognition and is it okay, but it is a little cumbersome to use. Two annoying features are that you have to say 'Enter' after each number which is a little irritating, but most annoying if you say "2" it puts "Two" into the cell even if you have specified the cell format as integer numbers - Microsoft's proposed solution is to say "Numeral" before each number

So say I wanted to enter a string of numbers "4 6 1 0" into cells A1, A2, A3, A4 I would have to say

"Numeral 4 enter numeral 6 enter numeral 1 enter numeral 0 enter insert"

And it becomes more cumbersome and time consuming than entering using the keyboard.

What I'd really like is

(1) To just be able to say "4 6 1 0 insert" - with suitable gaps so it is recognising that they are new numbers

(2) for it to insert horizontally, so into B3, C3, D3, E3

Anyone know of anything that will do that?

Cheers,

Nigel
What you could do instead is open notepad up and enter the numbers with spaces however you wish and then paste into Excel using Delimited with Space so they split into columns

What you could do instead is open notepad up and enter the numbers with spaces however you wish and then paste into Excel using Delimited with Space so they split into columns

It would be easier to enter directly into Excel.

The need behind my request is this. It is about entering the marks for each question in an exam paper. The exam paper is a typical A4 booklet with 20ish pages. It has been marked with handwritten annotations against each question. The marks for each question then need to be entered into a spreadsheet. Flipping through the A4 booklet and trying to type into Excel at the same time is cumbersome. A solution is to have two people, one who reads from the exam paper and the other that enters them in Excel but that is resource-inefficient and not always possible.

So what I'm looking for is an application or add-on that allows me to enter the marks for ecah question into the spreadsheet by saying them out loud. Must be possible.

Cheers,

Nigel

Another idea is to combine @NeverEden's idea with mine to create a simple text file, using W10 speech recognition to text facilities. Again, I found lots of hits, but this looks a good start:

Go hands-free in Windows 10 with speech-to-text support

The point is that this would be much simpler than trying to navigate an Excel spreadsheet.

For example, you could say:

"Q two comma one four comma six return Q three comma two seven comma five return …" to create a list:
"
Q2,14,6
Q3,27,5
"
Alternatively, you could teach the SR software to recognise all one- and two-digit numbers, so you could say "Q2 fourteen six Q3 twenty-seven five". Or variants thereof.

And feed that into Excel. Excel will interpret numeric strings as numbers. You have to put the commas (or spaces) between the digits unless each number is always the same length, in which case you could use Excel to split them off

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom