MS cracks down on XBL region-hopping

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Pebb, May 4, 2007.

1. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Source: CVG

Microsoft is moving in to clamp down on gamers using foreign Xbox Live accounts to access download content from other regions.

Microsoft said it will tighten up the region controls with next week's Spring dashboard update, which is due on May 7 and also introduces Live Messenger support.

The statement explains that it's Microsoft's responsibility to comply with government regulations and licensing agreements that detail where content can be made available.

"As a general policy we try to get global rights to content, but in some cases, it's not possible because of legal restrictions,"
    the statement reads.

"In other instances, we have to get legal rights on a country-by-country basis, which unfortunately results with us having content on the service that has to be filtered based on geographical location."

No more downloading vague Japanese download content and Blue Dragon themes then.

2. Therage79

Therage79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Looks like I have got some movie watching to do!!

I was just about to post on this...Looks like the spring update will kill all Live accounts not linked to the country where the user/xbox is based.

I have just purchased 1600 US points that I now need to spend before Monday! I wonder if it will delete the content as well? I can view films downloaded with my US account when signed in with my UK account! Wouldnt want to lose any films not watched so I think I will watch them before Monday just to be on the safe side!

I hope the UK video marketplace isnt to far away, as I enjoyed watching HD films!

However I feel most sorry for the thousands of people who have Live in a country where the service hasn't officially launched..South Africa etc. who will lose their ability to play online cause they have a UK account...The irony being there is no copyright infringing material available with a UK account!!

Anyway rant over...

3. Newman2007

Newman2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    From what i hear they're not going to ban any accounts.

From kotaku.com

It kinda make sense, Microsoft can eliminate illegal downloads whilst being able to brag about how theres X many live accounts/subscribers.

4. Therage79

Therage79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Ahhh so less of an impact for the people playing on live in those regions..but still means no more HD downloads for me!!

EDIT/UPDATE - from(http://aceybongos.spaces.live.com)
    One important thing to note – if you have in the past downloaded content from an Xbox Live Marketplace in a country different to that in which you live, that content WILL remain on your hard drive. It's yours for keeps. But you will not be able to download any more.

At least that means I can download a few movies then watch them at my leisure!

5. Newman2007

Newman2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, ah well. Its only fair i suppose.

I have still have 1500 odd points on my account, i better get downloading!

6. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    This kinda sucks, I used to enjoying browsing through the US and Jap Marketplaces and was going to get some US points when I get my 360 back from MS. Looks like I'll just have to be content with UK er, content. Might as well delete my US and Jap profiles too as they'll be useless now.

I dont think the Euro Video Marketplace is too far off though. It's been said we'll get in Autum / Winter this year if I recall correctly. Could be wrong though.

7. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Remember life is never fair, but it was mainly bound to happen sooner or later.

8. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Seems like the new Gears of War maps will be my last download from Live Marketplace sadly.

Thanks to the heads-up from filmfreak71 earlier on who linked me to this site http://aceybongos.spaces.live.com/Bl...FD2!4201.entry

You're able to post questions which I did so earlier today explaining my situation of how I moved here from England and still connect to the UK marketplace for downloads(there is no marketplace in Argentina as this country isn't supported by Xbox Live). This was my response:
    Pretty gutted as there are plenty of XBLA games coming soon which I was eagerly awaiting, not to mention extra content for games. I guess the Halo 3 Beta will be out the window aswell:(

I'm probably the only person here who's now dreading the May 7th dashboard update.

9. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Sorry to hear that Tetlee :(

I must admit I did think of you when 1st heard about there new region controls, with you having a UK account but living outwith the UK.

I dont know how easy it would be but can you not spoof your IP address somehow?

10. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Just noticed another reply to someone in a similar situation to myself over at aceybongos, seems to confirm my fears:(

Not sure if that would be a possibility but it's something I'll have to try to find out about, I guess it would be the only chance I could have.

Really annoyed about the timing of this as I've been eagerly awaiting the Halo3 Beta & Crackdown additional content, obviously I'll now be unable to get either.

11. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gutted for you mate.

I though they were doing it by the region of your console. So if you had a UK console thenn you could acces the UK marketplace.

Hope you are able to find a work around :smashin:

12. ggp559

ggp559

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey shadowman are you around? Would like to ask you something

13. Deputy Dawg UK

Deputy Dawg UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    and i was just about to buy a load of points too !!!!!!!

14. j_s

j_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Very sorry to hear this for the guys that are seriously going to lose out :(
    Tetlee, don't lose all hope and we'll see what happens, you never know some sort of workaround may come about. Think of the cash MS is losing out on as well.

15. SibTiger33

SibTiger33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    what a shame :-(

but it was bound to happen to be honest

at least many of us got a chane to sample the US marketplace and we can now hope that the UK video marketplace will be just as good (but most likely it will not - maybe full of episodes of eastenders and coronation street :eek: )

16. Zzebedee

Zzebedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Situations like Tetlee's hadn't occurred to me when i heard about the blocking. That's really crap.

I'm gonna have a last shufty about the US marketplace before the update appears to see if there's anything else i wanna download before my USA live account becomes obsolete

17. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Things are starting to sound slightly more hopeful after reading this update on the aceybongos blogcast:

Obviously nothing concrete there but it's the best bit of news I've read all weekend on the subject, keeping my fingers crossed it's how he's speculating above:)

18. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    seems as though mostly everything will be classed as licensed..like maps,gamerpics,music,videos etc.
    like to stop the german owners from downloading doom etc.
    what a pain..

19. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Tetlee, if it turns out you cant get maps and other DLC for games then maybe this will work...

If you were to buy a memory card you could send it to me with your profile on it. I would then sign in as you to download the content and then send you memory card back.... that is if you can actually download content to a memory card. Not 100% sure as I 've always used the HDD.

I do have a memory card though (girlfriend's profile is on it) so when I get my 360 back I'll try downloading something without the HDD and only the memory card.

Let me know if you want me to give it a try as you can trust me not to mess about with your profile and just get the DLC for you.

20. jdslater1

jdslater1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I always enjoyed downloading the HD film trailers and getting tv shows I couldn't get anywhere else.

21. Mike@Portugal

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm on the same boat as you, i live in Mozambique, there is no live support here either, if this is true i am going to sell this piece of crap Xbox 360 and buy myself a PS3

22. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Had to update this morning in order to connect to Live. Fantastic news though, can still connect to the UK marketplace:clap: :clap: :clap:

Downloaded the Double Dragon demo from XBLA straight after updating:D

Seems it must be only content released to specific regions that are affected, might come across some of those but as long as I'm mostly unaffected I'm happy, XBLA would have been a big loss for me.

23. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Well I'm gutted - I finally got around to setting up my US account today so that I could download Aegis Wing. I took a look at the US Film/TV marketplace and I was like a kid in a sweetshop - until I tried to download something and it came up with "download not allowed in your region". :mad:

Come on here and find I've completely missed the boat! :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Hope they pull their finger out and sort out the UK Marketplace soon - I'd happily spend a fortune on there if they'd make the stuff available to me... :rolleyes:

24. sem1604

sem1604
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    same here, dl aegis wing no probs, trailers not anymore,

oh well good while it lasted

25. Spidey987

Spidey987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Tried to download The Matrix trailer tonight but was denied. I can understand the legal wranglings with a movie or television show but an advertisement for a movie that has been out for 8 years? And I was really interested to see how Matrix looks in HD as that's just the kind of movie that would sell the HD-DVD add-on for me. Well done Microsoft. :rolleyes:

26. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    It looks and sounds absolutely fantastic, especially now that Microsoft have released the update to sort out the sound. If you need any more convincing read the review of the Trilogy on AV Play. :smashin: