MS and Marantz - lack of bass.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gallium, Nov 1, 2005.

1. gallium

gallium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the Mordaunt-Short Avant series (2 x 906 front, 2 x 902 rear and 905c), and have a 309 sub on loan for a while until our local distributor gets some more stock. This is all hooked up to a Marantz SR-7500 amp with 12 gauge Oxy Free cable. I've run these in for about 100hrs so far at various volumes.

I'm having a really hard time with getting the Bass right in this setup. My room size is (wxdxh) 4.5m x 6m x 2.7m and I find I have a dead spot in the middle of the room. Unfortunately my lounge is in about that spot too. :(

I've moved the sub to different places and cannot get enough punch without cranking up the sub volume until it starts to sound unbalanced. I've tried positioning the sub all around the room no no avail. I have it near a corner of the room now which is probably the best sound I can get from the 309.

With respect to bass response, some issues I am finding with this setup are:

* The center speaker sounds somewhat nasal and chesty voices just do not sound right, even after cranking up the bass to +6dB on the Marantz. For example, some male news reader voices sound a bit thin as compared to those from my high-end Philips TV. I have tried changing the crossover to get more low-end mid range to go through the sub with no avail. (I currently have it at 80Hz which is about right for the Avant 900s). I almost wish the Marantz had a +/- 12dB Bass control scale instead of the +/- 6dB.

*There seems to be little lower mid-range without cranking the volume up to around -20. It almost sounds like a sub-sat package.

Do any others of you have the SR-7500 Marantz with the MS Avant 900, and do you find the lower-mid range and bass response sufficient? Would the Denon 3805 been the better choice, or have I chosen the wrong sub?

Although I really love the clarity of the 309W sub and the Avant 900s in general, should I change my order to a MS 909W for the dimensions of my room?

I appreciate in advance any help offered.

2. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have you measured the room response with an SPL meter and a range of test tones? If not, read the sticky at the top of this forum and get ready to buy yourself a BFD!

Gary

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    you presumably have set the front speakers to 'large' and the centre to 'small'? I would change your order to a MS909 btw- IME it does sound a lot better than the 309, most specifically in terms of bass extension.
    Tone controls on amps tend to be very crude too- i certainly would only use them as a very last resort.
    The MS906s are very good speakers incidentally, so do bear with them!

4. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some MS 906's and was very disappointed with them compared to my Missions so sold them and got some more missions! Bass was none existent....

5. gallium

gallium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help so far.

I have all my speakers set to Small as having the fronts as Large means that no Bass gets to the sub.

I've just changed my order to a 909W so I hope this will help with the lack of bass issues. As per Gary's suggestion, I'll get a SPL meter when I've received the 909 setup CD and do some proper positioning.

Regarding the 906s, I'm in general very happy with them - but you need to open up the volume before they start to sing. Do you think they will get more Bass extension when they losen up a bit more?

I hear that the 900i Avant series is about to be released... I wonder if they're any better in the bass department... or if there will be a 909i sub to go with the new Avant kit?