1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS 905C and 905A - what's the difference

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by theo cupier, Dec 29, 2004.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    this question is probably as quick as it is stupid, but:

On RS they advertise the MS905C Avant (£120). On Peter Tyson they advertise the MS905A (£same).

I saw a 'for Sale' thread here from a while back where someone was selling a 905C described as 'not the avant'.

Main question is: What is the difference between the Avant and non-Avant?

Can they be told apart as simply as whether it is labelled 905C or 905A in listings?

I'm planning to pair a 905 with a 309 sub, from a DSPE800. Rest of the speakers are a bit of a mishmash (Rogers LS4a front L/R and wharfdale diamond 7.1 rears) but this will improve as budget allows... seems like the MS will be a reasonable tone match for the LS4a powered by a B1 amp (relaxed and transparent).

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The old 905C was the Declaration Series [now discontinued] and I would've thought the C just stood for Centre. The 905A is from the newer Avant Series with uprated drivers and slightly different look to the speaker.
    RS and PT are selling the same speaker, just RS using the older model number and putting Avant after it.

Tons Of Fun would give you a better answer to compare the two but I believe he's not back until next week.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    quick bump for the attention of Tons, since he's clearly not 'not back until next week'

:D

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    What Mal said :laugh:. If I were feeling especially cynical I 'd suggest the codes are deliberately diffierent to try and avoid pricematching.