MS 309, spl meter and calibration

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mystic_bertie, Oct 19, 2005.

1. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi
    im trying to set up my sub using a newly purchased radio shack spl meter and the MS 309 test tone disc. I am getting used to the basics of what im trying to do but i need further advice so please help me set my sub to the best i can. I want to set the notch filter to improve the sound and boominess.

I am a bit confused as to what settings i should have on my amp when running the tests, i have a yamaha 657, should i set it to pure direct? I was thinking different sound settings ie dsp and bass ect would have a different effect ont he readings so what is a good guide to set my amp for running the tests.

Also what simple tweks would help the sound from my sub, i have read a damping matt or something below it and slab below and a heavy rock on top improve the sound, is this true and worth doing?

After taking some readings and moving the sub around i see the difference achieved my placement etc.

:lease: help me

2. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  3. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    As an MS309 owner I'd love to help. Unfortunately, I didn't get a disk with mine and despite sending Mordaunt e-mails I've not had a response regards them supplying me one:-( I love this subwoofer, just have some minor setup issues which the disc, in conjunction with the variable notch filter, is supposed to be able to cure. Guess the sale made, why bother? Count yourself lucky you got a disc!!
    I believe you set it up in stereo mode. Play the setup disc on your DVD player with your AV amp set in stereo + subwoofer. Not 100% sure though. Regards an isolation platform, I made my own with a 16" x 16" x 2" granite tile, some really dense foam and carpet. I also bought some sorbothane to put between the sub and the finished platform. It seems to work quite well.

4. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will - if you send a message to "tons of fun" who works for MS, he will send you a disc. I have seen various similar messages in the past, where he has obliged.
    Fortunately my own Genie's system came complete with the disc + sound meter (though I did not manage to get the latter to work - so I simply used the 'Auto-setup' on my Yamaha amp. I am keeping the disc, just in case I ever get a SPL meter.

5. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    Thanks Goofy. I did leave a post in a previous thread where he said to another chap to PM him and he'd send a disk. I did not want to just PM him, thought it would be a little presumptious. Unfortunately he did not make any further posts in that thread.
    I think it very poor customer service on MS's part that I have to search AV forums in the hope that someone might supply me a disk that I should have received in the first place. Love the product but in light of this experience I think that I will probably avoid MS when upgrading my other speakers. Pity.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,008
    Firstly IF YOU NEED THE CD JUST PM ME! I don't bite. To set the filter have the amp in the mode you'll be using it at the level you want and use the SPL to check for points where the output is higher. Set the filter to that point and the level to the amount to flatten the response.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I think this is very short sited just to go on one experience especially with the qwuality of MS speakers. I would say to listen to them if interested and then discount them if they dont sound how you want them.

I owned a 309 sub and didnt get a disk either but Tons of fun is a good bloke (met him twice now) and he will help as much as he can. Good sub as well:smashin:

8. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    Hi Dfour

I have no doubt about the quality of MS products, this is hardly the point. Tons posted and I have PM'd him. It is not a personal thing, Tons responded very quickly and I'm delighted with that and grateful. However, it is hardly short-sighted to question whether I should buy MS again, given my experience of their customer service. This episode has simply raised a doubt, that's all.
    Anyway this is straying from the original post. Hopefully I'll have the disk soon. I'll let Mystic Bertie know how I got on fixing my problems and maybe I'll be able to give him some pointers then.

9. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to admit I was a bit annoyed to find that I was supposed to get a CD and didn't. It's great that Tons is here and ready to send the CDs out to those who need them. However not everyone who buys a sub comes here, and not everyone who comes here will know that Tons is the guy to see for the CD...or even that there's a CD to be had.

I'm happy with the sub of course, but I'm sure I could set it up better.