1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS 309 setup help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mepsipax, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

A few months ago I purchased a Mordaunt Short Premier Plus package, following the advice I had received from this forum.

I have some time off work, so this is the first time I have the chance to configure the sub properly, as I have literally been using it as it was setup out of the box.

There were really sparse instructions included with the speaker package,and barely any mention of the sub - (which is a MS 309) so I can't rely on them.

Now I don't have access to a SPL meter, so was wondering if any of you could just give me a rough guide to setting it up properly, until I get one?

Am using the speaker sub package with a Yamaha AX750SE amp.

The dials on the back of the MS 309 sub are - Volume, Frequency and Phase, then there is also Notch filters, which I guess will definitely need the SPL meter.

I presently have the speakers settings at 'small' via the amp, and there is a setting that is set at 'both', though I'm not sure what that's for.

Help appreciated

:)

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't pretend to have mine correct yet but I'll give it a go!

Set the crossover frequency to Max on the sub and just use the amp crossover. My volume is about 12 o'clock, you can also set the LFE level on the amp but I tend to shift the volume on the sub up/down occasionally.

Speakers should be Small on the amp with the prem plus, not sure what their freq response is but try a crossover of 100Hz and work down to what your happy with - they may not go much lower than this.

Bass out should be set to Sub only as the prem plus satellites won't have much LFE response.

Don't put the sub in a corner, I started with mine there and it sounded horribly lardy...it's much cleaner away from a corner!

Also have a look for the 750 setup threads in the amp setup as there's been lots of discussion about setting up this amp.

Try here for a start:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170361

3. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Thankyou for your help, I will also take a read of the link you posted.

Cheers

4. cool hand luke

cool hand luke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also just got the Mordaunt short premier package with the MS309 sub and am in the process of trying to tune it all in , and like you say the instructions the came with it were very sparse indeed.
    Im not even sure if i have the sub lead connected into the correct connection at the back of the sub.
    I really think MS could make a better effort with regards to instructions of this package.

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using an RCA sub lead it connects to the left RCA input (although I think the right works too). You can *instead* wire it to the left/right posts that your fronts are wired to, don't simultaneously wire at high and low level.

I too think MS could do with more comprehensive instructions, but there is lots of advice already here. Also it's very room dependant with a sub, along with a host of other factors - the only way to find the best setup is to play about with position and settings until you like it.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't easy to set the correct volume levels for the sub without an SPL meter as the output from all six speakers should match and whilst the five satellites will all emit a similar tone, the sub will sound very different.

A good rule of thumb is to turn the gain up on the sub until you can just hear it whereupon it will be too loud as the idea is integration of sub and sats and not to be able to distinguish the source of the sound. When you have got to this stage you should turn the gain on the sub down a little and probably a little more too.

For beginners to subs it may take a few days to get the integration right as there is always a tendency to have the sub too loud to start with.

7. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I agree with that. i got my sub now in the middle of the wall, underneath my plamsa, it sounds so much better there, however, the acoustics of the room also matter. Best think to do is play the same song/film scene and try the sub in various positions before deciding.