• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

MRX 710 vs 310 + amp

dolofsson

Hello,

Need some advice on upgrades.

Currently with standmounters (Dyn X16) and a centre @ 3.0 with Onkyo 809.

Mostly using my gear for TV/Movies - about 70%, and 30% music. (But quality when listening to music is more important, not as picky when it comes to TV/TH.)

Will go for 5.1 and probably wallstanders like KEF r500/700 or Dynaudio with small speakers/sats as rears.

Would you go for
Anthem MRX 710 alone or
MRX 310 together with a stereo amp driving the fronts? (For example Musical Fidelity M3i or Hegel H80.)

The two packages a roughly the same price.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello,

Need some advice on upgrades.

Currently with standmounters (Dyn X16) and a centre @ 3.0 with Onkyo 809.

Mostly using my gear for TV/Movies - about 70%, and 30% music. (But quality when listening to music is more important, not as picky when it comes to TV/TH.)

Will go for 5.1 and probably wallstanders like KEF r500/700 or Dynaudio with small speakers/sats as rears.

Would you go for
Anthem MRX 710 alone or
MRX 310 together with a stereo amp driving the fronts? (For example Musical Fidelity M3i or Hegel H80.)

The two packages a roughly the same price.
Will you ever want 7.1 as the 310 is only a 5.1 receiver?
The MRX range are fantastic musical amps too.

dolofsson

Will you ever want 7.1 as the 310 is only a 5.1 receiver?
The MRX range are fantastic musical amps too.

I've taken that into consideration. I haven't fully decided, I might go the 510 route instead. But at present I don't have room for 7.1.

But what do you think of MRX + stereo amp vs MRX alone?

Is it just a waste of money using a stereo amp in that price range - maybe one need a much better amp to tell difference playing music compared to the MRX 710 alone? (Like Hegel 200, M6i, Nait XS-2.)

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I'm not familiar with the amps you mention but what I will say is the MRX range is very very good with music. I use the 510 and have that hooked up to a6 channel power amp and it's fantastic.
How large is your room and do you listen at high levels?
Consider a 510 and then add 3 channel power amp at a later date if you wish,so the front 3 are matched and the receiver can power the rears.
I heard the 710 all last weekend with music and it did sound excellent.
Try and get a demo in your own room. If you contact Rob at Gecko he will be able to loan you one. I would be happy with the 710 on its own.

dolofsson

I'm not familiar with the amps you mention but what I will say is the MRX range is very very good with music. I use the 510 and have that hooked up to a6 channel power amp and it's fantastic.
How large is your room and do you listen at high levels?
Consider a 510 and then add 3 channel power amp at a later date if you wish,so the front 3 are matched and the receiver can power the rears.
I heard the 710 all last weekend with music and it did sound excellent.
Try and get a demo in your own room. If you contact Rob at Gecko he will be able to loan you one. I would be happy with the 710 on its own.

I see in your sig. that you use an A5 which I suppose is quite powerful...!

Have you tried running your system without the A5? I guess that a difference like that is what I'm trying to assess.

Trying to figure out what is the best price/performance.

Adding a "cheap" ($1500-ish) amp with a MRX 310/510 maybe just is waste of money. Then I guess it's better to go for 710 from the start - or like you said start with 310/510 and then add a more competent amp later. ($3000+?)

Can't demo 710 at home unfortunately - guess Sweden is a bit far away for Rob at Gecko. :) I will try to listen to it later this summer though visiting an Anthem dealer.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I find the MRX range of receivers to be just as musical as the Arcam AVR 500 that I used to own. Prior to that I owned a Lexicon DC2 with ADA and Parasound power amps. The MRX range really as a standalone receiver isn't far off minus the power obviously.
I would say get the 710 then you can always add a power amp later.

dolofsson

I find the MRX range of receivers to be just as musical as the Arcam AVR 500 that I used to own. Prior to that I owned a Lexicon DC2 with ADA and Parasound power amps. The MRX range really as a standalone receiver isn't far off minus the power obviously.
I would say get the 710 then you can always add a power amp later.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. I will demo the 710 and maybe 510 + amp and go on from there.

the_dude2

I see in your sig. that you use an A5 which I suppose is quite powerful...!

Have you tried running your system without the A5? I guess that a difference like that is what I'm trying to assess.

Trying to figure out what is the best price/performance.

Adding a "cheap" ($1500-ish) amp with a MRX 310/510 maybe just is waste of money. Then I guess it's better to go for 710 from the start - or like you said start with 310/510 and then add a more competent amp later. ($3000+?)

Can't demo 710 at home unfortunately - guess Sweden is a bit far away for Rob at Gecko. :) I will try to listen to it later this summer though visiting an Anthem dealer.

I ran my MRX300 for over a year without a power amp and it was good. But with the KK speakers I have there is a big difference using the AB Systems power amp compared to the MRX, it was well worth buying.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom