• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MRI scan and bowel advice.

JonBonesJones

Hello I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have had bowel problems for the last 5 or 6 years it started with Diorreah,Mucusy stools and bleeding. Left it for about 4 years until I had my son so decided 2 years ago to see the doctor I did stool tests and had a rectal exam by the doctor and was told I had hemmoroids. My stool tests came back with high inflammation levels and said I had H Pylori. Took a dose of antibiotics and still felt the same no different. 2 years ago I had a colonoscopy came back perfect all the biopsies also came back perfect also had an ultrasound of the abdomen came back fine nothing sinister or suspicious.

Anyways fast forward 2 years to know I have my first check up on 2 years as I missed my last one due to work commitments and was told they wanted an MRI of my Small Bowel so my questions are.

Does anyone know what kind of illness or conditions the MRI can detect?. Also on my letter it says I will have to drink water containing a laxative is this like MoviPrep?.

Also symptoms suffering with at the moment.

Greasy foul smelling stools to hard lumpy stools in the same day.

High abdominal discomfort under my left rib cage No pain just an uncomfortable feeling.

Bloating.

Really bad flatulence.

Undeigisted food in stools ie peas,carrots,onions etc.

Pain in my lower back (not sure if related as have a tiny dent in my back lower spine area.)

Also I was going to take buscopan to try to sooth the discomfort but didn't want to risk it as my disorder is still undiagnosed.
Really worried about this now the internet is such a great help yet a great problem I have already diagnosed my self with Bowel Cancer,Cancer of The Lymphnodes,Stomach ect.

As you can tell I'm a bit of a hyperchodriac and suffer with anxiety a tad.

If this is in the wrong forum section please can a mod post elsewhere.

ilovedvds

Hi

My first bit of advice is to try not to worry as your anxiety/worry may be making your symptoms worse.

Second bit of advice is to try and avoid self diagnosing using Google, there could be a number of reasons why you are experiencing the symptoms you are.

From your symptoms it might be Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

The MRI scan is used to determine if there if there is anything obstructing the bowel, the prep beforehand might be to make sure the bowel is completely empty, tbh i can't remember what prep i had to do for my MRI scans, I only had to prep for Colonoscopy (fleet or picolax) which you have probably done before. (the only thing i can remember doing for the MRI was having an injection of a chemical which made be feel like i peed myself, but which makes the bowel show up on the imaging)

You don't say if you had blood tests done and whether these were tested for inflammatory markers, your piles may have been the result of your symptoms at the time (there is a tendency to strain etc when there are bowel issues) put the inflammation in the stools is an indication that your body was probably fighting an infection (possibly the H Pylori)

I was diagnosed with Chrohns disease 7 yrs ago, so i understand how frustrating these conditions can be.

At this point i think its probably best to keep a record of your symptoms, do they improve/worsen after eating certain foods, do it get worse when you are under stress (work?) and go for the tests.

Drink plenty of fluid, make sure you get plenty of rest.

JonBonesJones

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It all came on so quick 2 weeks ago I had a check up was told to do a stool test for Faecal Calprotein it said on the note that I had to hand in when I handed over the stool so not sure what they check for the Doctor told me if the results came back fine I wouldn't need an MRI of not I would be booked in for an MRI. 2 weeks after my check up I have an MRI which was frightingly quick.

I did not have any bloods took I have had some before 2 years ago they came back fine no anaemia but my liver enzymes where raised above the normal level so that's why I was sent for an abdominal scan but was told everything was normal.

Regarding the dring for my colonoscopy i had MoviPrep it was called in my letter for my MRI of the Small Bowel it says I need to drink a small drink containing a mild laxitive.

And thanks for the advice have literally just started taking notes of what I eat and do not eat on a day to day basis.

Also have had no painful cramps or weight loss which I find weird as most cases of diseases show those signs which scared me into it being more sinister like the dreaded C.

JonBonesJones

I did use to suffer with bloody in my stools was always bright red which from what I meant means it's quite low in the GI tract anus to colon I belive? But have never had any dark bloody stool to which I know off.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I had problems for a long time and started eating foods with soluble fibre - apples for example.
One apple a day helped and I slowly built up with different things - particularly Pink Lady apples, nice flavour.

original jungle

I have crohns ive had an MRI there's nothing to worry about except necking 2-4 litres of movieprep also had the flexible sigmoidoscopy 18 inches deep lol and the full colonoscopy going all the way its an experience

JonBonesJones

I had problems for a long time and started eating foods with soluble fibre - apples for example.
One apple a day helped and I slowly built up with different things - particularly Pink Lady apples, nice flavour.
Thank you for taking the time out to reply I have never really ate any fruit or vegetables my entire life only carrots and peas. Funnily enough I started eating apples this week to try and add some fibre to my diet.

JonBonesJones

Could even be an allergy or intolerance to something in your diet. A food allergy can lead to bowel problems and uneven stools.
Cheers for the reply SanPedro. Have been tested for Celiac and Lactose so have no allergies to Gluten or Dairy products that much I do know l but my son had to have Neocait when he was a baby as he was having allergic reactions to the protein in the milk.

JonBonesJones

I have crohns ive had an MRI there's nothing to worry about except necking 2-4 litres of movieprep also had the flexible sigmoidoscopy 18 inches deep lol and the full colonoscopy going all the way its an experience
Hello mate thank you for dropping me a reply.

Did you symptoms include pain with Chrons as I've had no pain in the stomach just a slight discomfort which comes and goes.

So is that what I drink for the MRI the dreaded MoviPrep? That stuff took me hours to drink before my Colonoscopy. I really didn't find the colonoscopy bad though was relatively pain free.

I didn't even know it was in there until halfway through and the Doctor performing the colonoscopy told me.

original jungle

symptom wise i've had loads of problems ranging from oedema, erythema nodosum(excruciating pain), stomach cramps, really bad arthritis in my hips, knees and feet. Scleritis Scleritis is inflammation of the sclera - the white of the eye. As well as the obvious sore arse from going to the toilet 10+ times a day

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Pats helps as well, in addition to having more taste that the highly processed cereals.

JonBonesJones

symptom wise i've had loads of problems ranging from oedema, erythema nodosum(excruciating pain), stomach cramps, really bad arthritis in my hips, knees and feet. Scleritis Scleritis is inflammation of the sclera - the white of the eye. As well as the obvious sore arse from going to the toilet 10+ times a day
Wow! You've had it pretty rough mate hoping your symptoms are now under control must of been hell.

I doubt I have Chrons then as I have not really been in pain at all and what I have been dealing with is liveable and pretty minor.

I just always thought they used MRIs to detect cancers didn't know they could check for anything else.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Sorry - oats :blush: The porridge (yes, proper spelling) that is in sachets is easy to make after a little experimenting with the time.

DOBLY

I had bowel cancer - no need for an MRI - the tumor showed up on a CT scan about the size of a computer mouse.
My symptoms were different.
Surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatment have sorted it all out.
Talk to the medical professionals when you see them next - ask as many questions as you can think of. As soon as they know that you aren't stupid and have an interest in sorting this out, they will engage more with you. If you don't ask questions they will assume that you don't want to know anything.
Clear colonoscopies are great news - good choice to have sedation!
From what you have described, it appears to me (I am NOT medically trained) that something isn't quite right in your stomach, not further down the system.
Again, ask questions - why you are expelling undigested food?
Good luck.

JonBonesJones

Sorry - oats :blush: The porridge (yes, proper spelling) that is in sachets is easy to make after a little experimenting with the time.
Glad you updates that I was searching Pats on Google couldn't find a thing. Never had porridge will give it a try though is it best to eat it plain?.

JonBonesJones

I had bowel cancer - no need for an MRI - the tumor showed up on a CT scan about the size of a computer mouse.
My symptoms were different.
Surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatment have sorted it all out.
Talk to the medical professionals when you see them next - ask as many questions as you can think of. As soon as they know that you aren't stupid and have an interest in sorting this out, they will engage more with you. If you don't ask questions they will assume that you don't want to know anything.
Clear colonoscopies are great news - good choice to have sedation!
From what you have described, it appears to me (I am NOT medically trained) that something isn't quite right in your stomach, not further down the system.
Again, ask questions - why you are expelling undigested food?
Good luck.
Wow I'm glad your all right now mate and wish you a healthy future!.

Yes that was my plan when I go today is too ask questions as I haven't really been explained as to why I'm having this my gaestrologist (not sure if spelled correctly.) Just told me if my stool levels where elevated (Faecal calprocetin test) that I would be having an MRI of the Small Bowel as obviously the Colonoscopy was clear and they found nothing suspicious in the biopsies they took.

Thanks very much for your help.

JonBonesJones

Maybe keep a good diary. You might be able to single out foods like apples, which might help with your bowel movements.
Just started doing that this past week keeping a diary of what I eat daily,my morning and bedtime weight as well as writing down any symptoms I have had on the day.

mark6226

First of all you are not a hypochondriac.
A very good drug for ibs etc is mebeverine. It's not widely known but very effective. I'm not sure if it available over the counter or prescription only.
Yes there's a link between anxiety and ibs. This is only because the symptoms cause anxiety. First comes the ibs and anxiety can follow. Never allow anyone to tell you it's the reverse.
Try to avoid stress as much as you can. Also start to practice the technique of deep breathing as this can make a massive difference to bowel tension.
Above all, keep away from benzodiazepines as a means of controlling your anxiety. They will only exacerbate anxiety and one can be addicted in a couple of days. They are more addictive than heroine and much more difficult to come off.
Good luck

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Glad you updates that I was searching Pats on Google couldn't find a thing. Never had porridge will give it a try though is it best to eat it plain?.
As I am allergic to mornings I use the OatsSoSimple and choose one with fruit in.
Add milt, stir to mix it up, power for one minute, stir and another minute. The amount of milk really makes a difference so I had to experiment a bit to get it right and now have a bowl where I know the level to fill up to. Best try when you have time to get it right.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I had similar and I was initially diagnosed with coeliac disease, I have since realised I have irritable bowel too so have adjusted my diet accordingly and all is fine. Like you though it took a while to sort out and diagnose properly.

John

We can tell you where to place your speakers, what scenes make great demos and whether a £100 hdmi is better than a Poundland hdmi . But what no one should be doing is telling you what you should do medically .
"Making diarys" advice is fine, beyond that is shaken ground and may get this thread shut down
Explaining to a medical Professional that you have set your treatment back because you took advice from some guy called dickinconclusive on the internet ain't going to cut it

JonBonesJones

As I am allergic to mornings I use the OatsSoSimple and choose one with fruit in.
Add milt, stir to mix it up, power for one minute, stir and another minute. The amount of milk really makes a difference so I had to experiment a bit to get it right and now have a bowl where I know the level to fill up to. Best try when you have time to get it right.
Will give it a go thanks!.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom