Mr & Mrs Smith

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it me or is the quality rubbish?

When recording, you should have chosen the bottom Mr and Mrs Smith, the one with a 15 rated sign next to it. This is the HD version.

This is also in multistart, i think only the 9pm showing is in HD.

Well i am watching the 9pm on sm10hd and its in DD but the quality is really bad!

I was going to record the 9pm start but the banner said it was only SD and also not DD. I didn't bother in the end.

This is BS if you press record on SkymoviesHD it should bloody record the HD version WTF is going on now I have to wait to watch it in HD cause the one I am recording says it only needs 3% space DAMNIT SKY

The multi-start seems to be screwing it up as well, it stopped recoding after the first hour, the box seems to be taking literal notice of the the planer which is showing a start every hour.

Sigh.

John.

Gotta laugh:D

I checked the recording (during a break in the 20/20) and thought it was utter garbage and then after a little button pressing realised the box was recording the SD version.

It was the muti-start, I certainly pressed R on the HD listing and then just clicked when the multistart option came up, never gave it a thought.
It'll be repeated:)

Is it possible that multi-start affects the quality of the broadcast due to bandwidth constraints?

g-force said:
Is it possible that multi-start affects the quality of the broadcast due to bandwidth constraints?

Well no multistart for HD since there simply is not enough bandwidth on the transponder to support another movie channel given the current lineup and I don't think at this time SKY use multistart over multipule transponders.

g-force said:

I reckon so. They are showing multiple versions at the some time, so these are bound to taking up space on the same multiplex.

I'm recording tomorrow night's showing for this reasons.

well i recorded it on hd and it couldnt of been hd because yes it did look terrible,and the planner only req 2%, will recorded it again

Well i recorded it and watched it and it took 7% but it did look rubbish!

All i can do now is complain about starwars not being in HD :thumbsdow

:D You must have had your beer goggles on :D

Yeah, if you try to record something by pressing that "Set Reminder" thingy it gives you a menu of times to record on it - so with Multi-Start I got something like 10 different options to record it. The key was working out which of those 10 was the HD/DD version (which of course was the last one on the list).

It was HD/DD on SM10HD at 9pm last night. Think that the key here is just to ignore that multi-start rubbish (thats for chavs who haven't got Sky+ anyways :) )

mickeyb01 said:
I agree,does not look hd quality and only in pro logic .
I watched the regular start, i.e. at 21.00 as shown on the epg, and the sound was picked up as DD 5.1 by my Yamaha 2600 as soon as the film started. PQ? Well, ok, but not spectacular - but to be honest I didn't particularly like the film anyway, despite AJ.

It looked mediocre, i found scenes where there was a lot of movement on screen the quality decreased, not sure what its called, mpeg artefacts?

Personally, I found that selecting anything other than the 'proper' 9 p.m. showing resulted in viewing/recroding the 1-hour preview programme, rather than the film.

When I eventually selected the correct listing for the multi-start, the film was HD with DD 5.1. Did notice some very obvious macro-blocking type artefacts in dark scenes (the early ones in the counsellor's office were a classic example). Real shame, as this must be due to Sky not allocating enough bandwidth for the most testing scenes. No excuse for that in my book, as this is a premium service. Did find the sound quite good though, if a little lacking on the dialogue channel.

13th Aug Sunday night 9pm Mr & Mrs Smith in HD on SkyHD 10
Bin yesterday's recording and save this one!!

that must of been what happened when i tried to record kingdom of heaven in hd the other day when it was on a hd channel it recorded a sd version instead they need to get that fixed, when you have sky+hd you dont need a damn multistart rubbish

just started now and it looks great,angie jolie in hd...wow:thumbsup:

My 9:00 pm states it's 'HD' but it only took 8% for 141 minutes.
Planet Earth took 7% for an hour so I suppose the picture quality is not too bad considering.

I might record tonights to compare.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom