1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr Barcoman, 708 or 808?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Reference my earlier post about the 808. How does the 708 compare as a home cimema projector? I'm a bit worried the 808 will be to large to celing mount (about 80 kilos I think) the 708 is certainly nearer to what I already have. (seleco 320). I have a chance to purchase either . What would you choose?
    Cheers Rob.

------------------
    Don't think you can, Know you can.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

Personally I'd go for the 808, but I like big heavy monster projectors hanging from my ceiling- despite my room being quite small!
    The 708 is still a hell of a machine, but with 7" tubes instead of the 8" ones used in the 808. Apart from the weight/ size advantage, tubes for the 708 will be cheaper than 8" models too- not that you should be replacing them often, if at all.
    If you are going to use a massive screen (15' or wider), then go for the 808. The 708 will still outgun a 320 on a 'regular' size screen (5' to 8' wide).
    I'm not sure about spares availability either for both machines. I THINK that the 808 is more common so there'll be more second hand bits around if needed- but don't quote me on that!
    Why are you 'upgrading' anyhow? The 320 is still an excellent machine. A decent screen makes a world of difference too, if you haven't already got one.

cheers
    Simon www.si-tec.co.uk

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for that Simon. Its just I know a guy who gets ex-display/conference Barcos quite cheaply , so I thought it was a good opportunity to upgrade my 320. Having said that you are quite right, they are exellent machines , the same guy sold me a set of HD6 glass lenses which made a lot of difference,
    problem is you always want something better.
    I quite fancy a line doubled model now, and as I say, Its a good time to upgrade (if I can sell my 320 that is!)
    Cheers. Rob.

------------------
    Don't think you can, Know you can.