MPs To Receive 10% pay rise

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr Incredible, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,929
    So much for austerity and everyone tightening the belts. Difficult to tighten your belt when you've got your nose in the trough. I hope many will refuse the rise and for those who do accept it, I hope their constituents will remember that at the next election.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Another thread on this but they haven't voted for 10% increase , it was decided that MPs pay should be decided by an independent body and thats what they recommend

3. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    I don't think their new salary is unrealistic.

What is is their continued ability to:

Have other jobs that conflict with their positions and which rely on their influence as MP's
    That they have other jobs
    That they can employ family members and pay them a government salary from their allowances, but the person does nothing and others are doing the work on zero hours contracts or as interns.
    Their still ridiculous expenses and 2nd home allowances and flipping them for their own profit.

5. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
    I don't actually begrudge the new recommended salary if that's what the independent body determines that's what they're worth, but my problem is the complete hypocrisy of refusing to implement pay recommendations from other independent bodies for other workers.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    So what should we do Only allow politicians with independent means to stand for parliament

7. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
    So what should we do hire the cheapest nurses/teachers we can find, rather than the best quality nurses/teachers we can find?

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Not a good analogy really but good headline .

Using the analogy pay MPs nothing and see where we end up .

9. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    No idea what you do or where you stand but would you stand for parliament ?

10. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
    Would you be a nurse or teacher if they paid you nothing?
    Pay them nothing & see where we end up.

As I said before, I have no issue with MPs being paid fairly as recommended by an independent pay review body. I take issue when another independent pay review body recommends nurses & teachers be paid fairly that the government (& you it seems) feel that's different.

To quote Animal Farm 'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Werewolfs

Werewolfs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    We're all in it together.

Well some more than others it seems.:smashin:

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,732
    I don't see why we don't just put all MPs on Civil Service pay spines and with standard terms and conditions including pension and expense claims. Cheap to implement. Flexible enough to ensure sufficient remuneration. And would give them some moral authority at times when public spending has to reigned in (as they would be subject to the same pay caps etc).

13. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,374
    I live with someone who was a band 5 in the NHS, after on call payments her wage was £37000 a yr based on a 3/4 day week.. So it's not all guardian doom and gloom..

14. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,723
    I don't understand people banging on about a Teachers and Nurses, everyone working deserves a decent annual pay rise.

15. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,974
    10% rise, it makes me sick in these times of austerity. Even if they did "deserve it" now is not the time to implement it. At a time when the emergency services are ran ragged and have been savagely cut to the point that it's now putting the public in danger money should be channelled there for extra resources not into the back pockets of the fat cats. MPs should be leading by example ,it's an insult to the rest if the country IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Agreed (mostly)...whilst I do believe the role warrants the rise, so do many others who have been forced to only have 1%. Some pragmatism and common sense should have been applied and the raise delayed.

Don't agree that just because someone gets a decent salary they automatically become a fat cat however.

17. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
    I know an MP who is rich enough to not need a salary. Does this mean all MPs should forgo a salary.

Just because you know 1 person in the thousands of staff working in the NHS on a comfortable salary, doesn't mean they're representative of everyone working in the NHS.

18. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,467
    Not necessarily coming out in supporting the increase but adding some flip-side information.

From what has been reported, the increase is cost-neutral. That is that their pensions and expenses have been reduced to offset the pay increase.

So when we talk of teachers and nurses, we should be asking whether they would be prepared to reduce their pension in return for an increased salary.

Also remember that when we talk about nurses getting a 1% increase that isn't the whole story. For the majority they will also get a step increment on the payscale ladder. Only those at the top of the ladder will get just 1%.

For info, I work in the private sector and my personal circumstances are that my pay hasn't changed since April 2013 and my employer is currently trying to reduce my benefits which would put my total package to pre-2008 levels.

Cheers,

Nigel

19. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Well when we have equal pay for women why not MP's and Nurses.
    Remember equal pay isn't about doing the same job, it's about most women are receptionists/nurses so should be entitled to a higher wage like men who tend to be engineers etc.

Personally I'd rather see a system for MPs where if they have wealth by other means then they are only entitled to a portion of the pay.

And expenses are justified imo, and should be properly vetted.

House flipping should be banned. You buy your own house in your local constituency, and you have a house owned by the gov in London that is leased to you when you become an MP, and removed from you when you are no longer an MP.

You should also be expected to be in your local constituency the majority of the time and not 1 day a week like my local MP, whose wife and children all live in his London home.
    This could be enforced by reducing parliament opening to 2 days during the week for debates.

EDIT: nheather, the idea of swapping expenses for salary is disgusting. It is a blatant cover up to stop expenses being scrutinised by just giving them the extra cash as salary

20. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,974
    They must have forgotten to freeze those increments , police have been frozen

21. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
    But I'm not complaining about the 'cost' of the increase or the 1% rise for nurses. It's the principle that if MPs are 'powerless' to stop IPSA & have no choice but to accept their independent pay review body's recommendations (& the fact that it's an 'independent body' is given as justification of being paid what they're worth), then how can they morally deny nurses, teachers etc a decent pay rise when their 'independent body' also recommends they should be paid what they're worth. 'Your independent body recommend you should get a salary increase of 2%...but we're gonna ignore your independent pay review body:thumbsup:'

...it's hypocrisy at its worst.

I work in the private sector & have had modest pay increases (still less than inflation) the last few years.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  22. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Swapping expenses for salary I agree is wrong. Swapping allowances for salary is a different thing though if that is what they are doing. Expenses are out of pocket reimbursements and vetted, allowances are paid without vetting - in my world at least :)

Giving up allowances for salary isn't uncommon in my experience. HR need to keep on top of it when people return to the table 10 years later and want an allowance back they swapped for cash.........

23. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,974
    This is the Tory government, brace yourself for the next wave of cuts, ambulances are already failing to attend for anything other than life threatening situations. Emergency calls to police are stacking up because there's no bobbies left, the few that remain are tied up with other emergencies, where is this going to end? I wonder if the 10% rise was because of all the extra work they have to do dealing with annoyed, frustrated and bemused constituents wanting answers.

24. Werewolfs

Werewolfs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    This mirrors my thoughts exactly.:hiya:

IF and its a big if,the money is coming off pensions and allowances/expenses then were these too high in the first place. Surely an independant body would not have these cut to fund it otherwise. If its not the body thats cutting these items to fund then is it not better to leave as is so PMs do not lose any of their pensions/expenses (because surely this still leaves them out of pocket) and except a small rise say 1% again like alot of their country has had to do in the last few years.
    Plus how much did this independant body cost. I am sure it was not free.

Yet again we are told the country has no money yet we seem to find it from somewhere for the wrong reasons.

What ever happened to decency and common sense. Are they so out of touch. If these so called politicians say this rise is too much at this time. Then dont except it. You run the bloody country for gods sake. If they are doing jobs which are not getting paid as much as they think they should, well welcome to a country that a lot of us live in.

25. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,968
    Don't let that excuse fool you.
    Some emergency services have had night shift allowances, priority payments, competency payments, housing benefits, medical benefits all taken from them as well as increase in pension contributions for less in return. Not to mention pay freezes for 4 years (including increments and inflation etc).
    Yet they haven't had a pay rise to 'off set' this so its 'cost neutral'.

Not sure if a read this right, but are you suggesting that secretarial work should have the same pay as those who have studied and trained for 5 years to become time served?
    As for (female) nurses not getting a pay in comparison to males, the top of the scale gets about £36,000 and more if a ward sister etc. This is probably comparable than a top of the scale (male) time served engineer.

[​IMG]

Also don't forget its being backdated to May, which means that they will have to find £1.1 million (£6,800/12months = £566pm x 3 months backdated x 650MP's).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  26. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  27. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Rather childish

28. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    No I don't believe a receptionist should be paid the same as an engineer. But that is what equal pay is about unfortunately.

True though lol

29. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,282
    Not only that, but I suspect that many of the currently sitting MPs (I'm making an assumption that a lot of them are in this age range) will effectively get an increase in their pensions under the new regime (rather than a cut), as well as the pay increase to help 'offset' against the cut against their pension which isn't being cut:facepalm:
    MPs' hidden perk: £7,000 pay rise equals £85,000 pension boost - Telegraph

30. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,210
    Just like their behaviour at PMQ's

They're worth every penny just none of the pounds.

If the rest of the public sector have been limited to 1% over 4 years so should our incompetent members of parliament.