MPs Expenses Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
Lot of MP's have been challenging paying back their expenses.

In some case they the amounts have been reduced which undermines the whole inquiry

According to the bbc the enquiry has cost £1.6m to get back £1.3m does not seem good value.

However I would pay twice that if necessary to have the system cleaned up and stop the pigs getting their noses in the trough.

Im disgusted at these MPs who are meant to serve the people and yet they are all looking for personal gain as opposed to improving the country. 1.6 million is a ridiculous figure but if it does make the system fairer and stops MPs claiming for ridiculous things then im all for it.

Given that civil servants are often heard complaining about how little they are paid, how come it always costs so much for them to do anything?

Cheers,

Nigel

The initial investigation might cost more but long term they will not be claiming so it will save more and more.

The initial investigation might cost more but long term they will not be claiming so it will save more and more.

Not sure about that logic. I thought the inquiry was just about revisiting what had been paid was valid or not. Even if this didn't happen there would have been the political will to make changes for the future without clawing back monies already spent. I see this as a one-off, one-time exercise aimed at bringing MPs to account for past misdemeanours. To me it's a one off cost of £1.16m to rake in £1.12m. I could have told them the 2nd home allowances was abused for a lot less than £1.16m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I guess you're right actually...dunno how it can have cost so much to investigate.

You must vote if only to get rid of the current batch of corrupt no marks (unless of course your individual MP is one of the goodies).

Until the furore blows over and it's all forgotten about.

The pigs will return to the trough.

Given that civil servants are often heard complaining about how little they are paid, how come it always costs so much for them to do anything?

Cheers,

Nigel
I know this thread is ancient but ftr Legg isn't a Civil Servant and the Audit Commission is a Statutory corporation (ergo it's employees aren't civil servants either).

I know this thread is ancient but ftr Legg isn't a Civil Servant and the Audit Commission is a Statutory corporation (ergo it's employees aren't civil servants either).

Thanks didn't realise that.

So for clarity the Audit Commission staff aren't paid by the government and don't recive Civil Service pensions - basically it is a private company.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks didn't realise that.

So for clarity the Audit Commission staff aren't paid by the government and don't recive Civil Service pensions - basically it is a private company.

Cheers,

Nigel
It's kind of a mixture between a public and private sector organisation. Powers and remit are defined by parliament, no shareholders or anything like that but obliged to publish accounts and structured like a company

I don't know how the staff are paid but I do know they aren't civil servants and so wouldn't receive a civil service pension.

It's actually in the process of being scrapped (and privatised).

I would imagine the cost of Legals is the most.

They are too lenient with these cheating/thieving so-called MP's. How many have been charged with fiddling they're expenses - not many, but if it was "man-in-the-street" caught fiddling he would soon be charged. They are laughing at us. It makes my blood boil.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom