1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPIO HD300 20gb

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by josh123, Jan 17, 2005.

1. josh123

josh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i am new to this forum.

i have been looking at MP3 players for some time now and i had my heart set on the sony nw hd3. i was then looking around and i came across this MPIO HD300 20gb and it looks too good to be true. i have never heard of this make before does any one know if it is good or not. i know there is no perfect player but this one looks very good

could some one please tell me about it as i cannot find many reviews

thanks
    josh

2. Ishlin

Ishlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

I recently bought the MPIO HD300 from Ebuyer.

It is an attractive player with real metal casing, solid build, and clear readable display.

The sound quality is great, even through the supplied earbuds. The player can handle a number of formats, including ogg which I use for higher bitrate and wma which I use for general lower bitrate compatibility with other mp3 players. I don't know if it plays DRM files because I don't have any.

There are a number of issues with the unit of which you should be aware. The firmware needs upgrading. Go to mpioamerica.com for the appropriate update and follow instructions for upgrading (do not use MPIO Utility for this). Most of the negative reviews apparently refer to players using earlier firmware. I use firmware V.1.30.04.

The player has a limit of 256 files per folder so make sure you have enough folders. Mine are organized by artist and there are no problems. Folders and files are just drag and dropped in Windows XP.

The touch sensitive Navigation buttons take some getting used to but are fine once you have spent some time on them (learn the difference between a stroke, a press, and a hold).

The player generates auto playlists from id tags (artist, title, album, and genre). It cannot produce custom playlists but I have found an easy way of doing this on the PC. Thus you must have your id tags in order.

After upgrading firmware, learning to Navigate, and working out how to make custom playlists, I have greatly enjoyed the MPIO HD300. I will post a separate message with instructions for creating custom playlists on this unit.

Hope this helps.

4. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

I bought the HD300 recently wrongly thinking it would do custom playlists (not just the artist/album thing). After getting to grips with the navigation of the unit I trawled the internet looking for some way of adding custom playlist and I think I have found a great solution.

I found the following stand alone utility:
    Playlist Creator 3.0.3 (Freeware)

http://www.oddgravity.de/ available elsewhere also)

It can produce M3U and PLS files.

This is how I did it.
    1) Connect HD300 to PC

2) Open Playlist Editor and go to settings

3) Select Playlist Details

4)Under 'saving playlist entries' select 'Absolute, without drive ...' click OK

5) Click on Add Files icon and access HD300 music files (that you have already on MPIO).

6)Keep adding files until you have your playlist (use arrow icons to order the files).

7) Under select save location browse to, or type:
    F:\PLAYLIST\Genre

8)Give playlist a name (I always put 000 at the beginning of the name to ensure it is at the top of the list).

9) Select M3U and click 'Create Playlist'

You should now find the playlist in the Genres lists. It may briefly scan.
    I have only tried this with WMA files and have not used PLS. So far it seems to work. Lets hope this may be an answer for now.

5. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The MPIO HD300 is £85 (£99.99 inc VAT) at the moment from Ebuyer. The Sony is tempting though for £15 more from Novatech. I'm not sure the Sony handles ogg so it's not for me.