1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg4 recording on DV cameras. Please, advice!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by virgola, Feb 20, 2004.

1. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for infos about this subject: how is it possible to do live streaming with a DV camera ? Lots of questions:
    Must I connect it to PC through USB instead of Firewire?
    Does the signal come out from USB in MPEG 4 or what?.
    Do I need to convert it via software on PC? If yes which one?
    Is it also possible to record on camcorder (someway) directly in MPEG 4 for storage and next deliver for online streaming?
    Please if there is someone with experience on this matter I hope he will give me some help !

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Virgola

I want to tryand help but we need to clarify a few points, what exactly are you trying to acheive ?? I don't know of a DV cam which outputs MPEG4 from tape (true I don't know everything) - what camera are you intending to use.

When you say live steaming do you mean to the web - that is use your DV camera as a webcam or do you have some other use in mind, this is possible with some DV cameras and the right software, I connect using firewire but if it is only for a webcam then you could possibly use USB - does your camcorder have USB out if so look in the specification for what output it gives, if it is a DV cam it is unlikely to be MPEG4

What do you want to convert to what - you keep mentioning MPEG4 but thats not the only format if you want to stream to the net

Again I don't know of a camera that records MPEG4 to tape - what camera do you have?

3. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thank you Beejaycee for your reply!
    Actually I was looking for suggestions not for me (I don't need this option, and I own a PD150) the question was asked on an italian forum about digital video and I'd like to answer to it. I thought the only format for web streaming was MPEG4 but I may be wrong.
    The guy wanted to know which camera to buy to record directly in the standard for web streaming. He needed to record some lessons for internet and didn't want then to loose time to encode from DV to another format.
    I suggested him to buy the JVC- GY DV300 which surely has this option but is very pricey. So I was wondering if also cheaper cameras with webcam capability can RECORD in a standard ready for internet. Many of them in the specs say "MPEG4 recording" on memory card. Maybe it's a matter of minutes of storage... what do you think??
    Thanks again !!!

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If he wants to record directly to the card he is only talking a matter of a few minutes, seems a silly option to me, much better to film in full DV then transfer to PC and edit, maybe add music and then output for web use, most video editing packages (even Windows MovieMaker2) include an option to save video for e-mail and for web use although I don't think many of them are MPEG4 but I don't see that MPEG4 is essential if all he wants to do is publish on the web.

5. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I see.... thanks Beejaycee!

6. spokey

spokey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a Panasonic NV EX21B - ( it's the one that has a switchable bottom half - one part is the DV, the other part is a still camera ) - this does MPEG4 - I think it's a super compressed format for downloading straight to the web - haven't had chance to use it yet though :confused:
    It also has download through USB as well as firewire.

so much to do, so little time ... :rolleyes:

Spokey

7. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks spokey! could you please report, when you'll be able to try this feature, how it works?