1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG4 on the PSP

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Indiana Jones, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    I was just wondering if anyone who has a PSP has tried converting any video files to the PSP MPEG4 standard and loading them onto the memory stick? as this is a very interesting ability to me but as the Value Pack PSP only comes with a 32Mb Stick I doubt it will be able to hold much more than 10mins of decent quality video and before I splash out on a 512Mb stick I wanted to know if anyone had tried it yet?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The software is available from Sony Japans web site but it costs 1000 yen (5quid)

You download the software and change video files to mpeg 4, then use a USB cable to transfer the files to your memory stick thats in the PSP. My friend has tried it and he says the quality is good.

Ive used the USB cable to download music files (MP3) and photo files (Jpeg) to my smaller 128mb card. Every thing works well. MP3 files play as well as Atrac 3. (many people thought it would only play Atrac 3)

Phots lack colour in my opinion but they still display properly and you can manipulate them by zooming in/out and rotating.

What you cant do is have a memory stick with, say, music and put it in the PSP and try to play it. I tried and it didnt recognise the files. It has to be done via USB coz the music needs to be put into the music file and the photos into the photos file separately and so on.

Still everything does work and it looks and sounds good. All we need now are cheap large memory cards. It would have been good if sony had made the PSP work with all memory sticks. Not just Duo.

UMD video disks should come out soon.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    Where's the best place to get memorysticks from and do they have to be 'pro' ones? I found a website yesterday that explained how to convert dvd to psp mpeg4 format using dvd decrypter and 3pg convertor, it seems to have disappeared now... I have created the file using the instructions that were on that site, just waiting for my usb cable to be able to transfer it over (oh and a big enough memorystick of course!). I'll let you know how it looks..

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    I found a website that explains how to convert to PSP MPEG4 and how to put the file on the memory card, it is at http://wolfk.hollosite.com

Also, what type of USB cable is needed? and where can I get one from?

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    Can I just make sure I understand how things should be structured on memorysticks. In order to play music, look at photos etc you have to format the card using the PSP first and then put the material in the relevant directory. Can you then create an MP_ROOT etc directory structure on the same card to put mp4 movies in? I've just picked up a 256MB pro duo memorystick, just need the USB cable now, I presume there's no other way of getting stuff onto the card? Is there no way to do it using wireless lan?

Cheers,
    Andy

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    USB is easiest. If you have a memory stick reader/writer you can use that with an adapter to make the duo full size.

You don't need to format the card in the PSP. They come preformatted - you can just create the right subfolders for music etc (check PSP.IGN.COM for the file structure)

The 3gpp converter (google for that or calcium) now has a limited english option. It'll also take VOBs directly and convert them (assuming they are decrypted already).

Oh, and as for quality, the QB4 and 768k settings are very good, but big. QB4 is Variable bit rate, so sometimes is smaller than 768k movies, but sometimes bigger (and about the same quality). You'll just about get a 2 hour movie on a 512MB card. You can probably go down to 384/15fps as OK quality, and then you'll get about 4 hours on 512MB

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    I noticed that the program only has a 15fps and a 30fps option so what is best to select when you have 24fps and 25fps sources?

8. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I bought a sandisk 512mb duo card for my P910i for only £50 delivered on ebay ive got a spare 32mb card which may use on my psp soon as get it prob next month when drops again im guessing at :rolleyes:

9. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    Are the cards listed on that site ok to use with the PSP as I got my PSP today and would like to get a 512Mb card but no point in buying it if its not going to work with it.

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    There are some 4GB cards coming out soon as well.

12. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well I have a 512Mb SanDisk one right now and it works fine. Best to email them to check if you are concerned though.

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    if you have a 25fps source, you can encode at 25fps. you have to edit the ini file and either change, or add a section. Then change the '29.97' or '14.985' bits to 25.

I'm still trying to see if you can get 12.5 fps working to save space. It'll encode and playback in quicktime, but the audio is out of synch on the PSP, so I don't know if it'll work.

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    I ended up encoding 25fps files as 29fps and it doesnt look to bad so will probaley leave it alone, just have to wait for my 512Mb card to come into stock at my local Jessops which should hopefully be sometime next week.

15. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Apparantly it;s possble to rip a dvd to your pc, to then copy onto psp mem stickc, to watch movies that you own on the go. What's the legality of this? are people doing it on here already? Would save having to buy a film on UMD, that you already own on dvd.

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    Yes I've done it, pretty straightforward really, don't see why it should be illegal as long as you own the movie you're copying onto the memorystick. Results aren't bad but you need a min 512MB memorystick which aren't exactly cheap!

Cheers,
    Andy.

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    I dont know if its illegal or not but its quite easy to do, you just get the DVD you want, use DVD Decrypter to rip the whole film or the scenes you want then load the .VOB file straight into the converting problem and once its complete you will have a file ready to transfer onto the Memory Card so you can play it on your PSP.

Quality wise it all depends on what settings you use and how big your card is. I ripped the Star Trek First Contact Theatrical Trailer off the DVD and converted it at QVGA/29.97fps/1500kbps Stereo/128kbps and it ended up about 21Mb which didnt leave alot of room on the 32Mb card that came with the PSP but the quality was excellent. With a 512Mb card you will be hard pressed to get excellent quality on anything that runs over 40mins but there are other settings you can try which will allow you to fit more on a card but the quality will vary depending on the setting.

As for 512Mb cards, the most commen price for a SanDisk 512Mb one seems to be about £50 but I can get them for just under £40 each so if anyone needs one let me know and I will see if I can get one.

18. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Indiana,

This raises an interesting point that has been niggling at me. Sony talk about watching MPEG4, but how realistic is this going to be given that this has to be done using memory stick?

Lets face it, no one is going to by films on UMD when then already have it on DVD. My best hope for watching films on the PSP is for someone to release a UMD writer for the PC; this would then allow DVDs (that you already own, obviously :rolleyes: ) to be BACKED UP onto UMD for personal use.

Ian.

19. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    Can you get the 1GB sticks at a decent price as well?

Cheers,
    Andy

20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    If you needed a seperate Memory Card reader/writer for your computer to get the MPEG4 files onto the card then I would agree that I wouldnt think it would be very popular but because you can just put the Memory Card in the PSP and hook it up directly to your computer, it makes transfering movies over very easy and I can see it being more popular that UMD movies as I doubt many people will go out and buy a movie they already have on DVD on UMD just so they can watch it on the PSP, the ability to convert your DVD and stick it on the Memory Card is a function I am sure alot of people are going to use.

As for the 1Gb cards, I can get them but dont know the prices off the top of my head, will find out for you.

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    You'll never be allowed to make your own UMD's. For one, Sony want's you to buy movies on this new format. If you can just copy the dvd's you own to disc then there's no point. Secondly they don't want people supplying pirated movies and PSP games. How easy is it these days to get hold of pirated PS1, PS2, XBox or movies due to the ease of which people can make copies to cd/dvd. yet I've not personally heard of people selling pirated GC games. If there are no UMD copying machines, piracy is far more difficult. Piracy is considered a huge problem for PS2/XBox.

22. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Agreed, but how good will the quality be (and how big will the files be) and how long is it going to take to get a DVD down onto a 1gb memory stick?

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    If you check a little further back I posted about converting DVDs to MPEG4 PSP files.

The quality all depends on what settings you use, the max settings give excellent results but you end up with a bigger file size which will reduce the amount of footage you can fit on a card but the lower the settings you use the worse the quality but you will be able to fit more on the card, probaley best to do some experimenting and find the setting that best suits you.

As for transfer times, I would imagine it would take about 10 mins to get a file of a few 100Mbs in size onto the PSP but as I only have a 32Mb card at the moment I have only been able to transfer files of around 20Mb onto the card and then it took about 10-15 seconds.

24. coolsurfer

coolsurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/Jan/1105945.htm

The Memory Stick PRO Duo cards in game packaging will be sold in capacities ranging from 128MB to 1 gigabyte (GB) with suggested retail prices from $39.99 to $159.99.

[​IMG]

So basically 1GB will be around £80 in the US and very likely less than £100 in the UK.

Amazon have Sony branded ones for £130 available here (not adapter though): http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000684HR8/qid=1105124205/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-6458592-1249407

Blank Media UK have the SanDisk branded one at £91.25 here (note not available yet):
    http://www.blankmediauk.com/product.php/300/17

25. coolsurfer

coolsurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i have watched divx`s on my p900 on a 128mb memory stick and the quality was not to shabby considering it was a phone lol.

27. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    I had a quick go at converting with that new ini file and it produced incompatible data when I loaded it onto my PSP and apart from High Quality, it gave stuttering playback when I tried it through Quicktime so I am going to stick with the standard 3GP setting and use either 768kbps (25Mb for 4mins) or 1500kbps (34Mb for 4mins) but I think I will stick with 768kbps as the quality difference between the two doesnt justify the extra 9Mb.

28. DEV

DEV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Recieved my PSP today. I am quite impressed so far. However I was little unlucky and got one with 1 dead pixel. However it isn't in the middle of the screen which I should be thankful. Anyway I converted one of my Divx movies with 3GP_Converter to get a impression of how it would perform. The movie size in DIVX form was 698 MB. Using the 768kbps setting I got a mp4 file of 533 MBs. Using the 1500kbps setting the file size increased to 664 MB. I tested each one on my PSP (I have 1 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo). The higher bit rate gave a slightly sharper picture with a little better contrast (dark film). I have to agree with Indiana Jones that increased bit rate doesn't give a huge image improvement but if you have the space I would still use it.

On a side note the transfer of the files to the PSP using USB2.0 took 4 min for the first file and 7 min for the second. Converting the DIVX file took about 45 min on the first setting and 60 min on the higher one.

29. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Well, I converter lower quality vids no problem, but when i tried to convert a high quality 640x480 WMV vid I got an error saying unsupported codec!

Any ideas? :confused:

30. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    I had a similar problem when I tried converting some quicktime trailers, guess there are some file types it just cant do, not yet at least.