MPeg4 (ireland) tuner/decoder??? (panasonic)

Sor

Standard Member
Hey all,
I'm not sure exactly what thread I should be posting this in, and will xpost in freeview or somewhere.

My dad wants a TX-P42X10 for his birthday. The ones I see in the shop are the UK models (TX-P42X10B).

However we live in N.Ireland and we receive the Irish tv channels as well as the UK ones. My understanding is, Ireland will switch to digital using MPeg4 but UK uses MPeg2. I think that both N.Ireland and Ireland are intending on switching over by 2012.

So, does anyone know if the TX-P42X10B will decode MPeg4 or only MPeg2?
What type of digital tuner should I be looking for in the specifications?
Is a MPeg4 tuner backwards compatible and thus able to handle MPeg2 signals?
Or, can anyone recommend another tv?
Or, should we just buy the P42X10B and in 3 years buy a new tv that is compatible with Ireland and UK?!
Or actually, just explain to me what I need in a new tv to pick up digital from both UK and Ireland (when they transmit).

We're a bit limited in price matching on UK models here anyway - amazon looks to be the best price but I don't know what warranty is offered on that *sigh* I think the Irish models are a lot more expensive and then we'd also need to find somewhere that would deliver up north. (I haven't quite found the equivalent Irish model which I think is TX-P42X10L or TX-P42X10E on the panasonic site)

Many thanks for any help you can give me. Bit baffled and of course pretty much a last minute birthday request sprung on me! Ick.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom