Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

MPEG4 features of Panasonic E100

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jxp, Jul 24, 2003.

1. jxp

jxp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Reading the recent press release (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=87377) for the Panasonic E100 I was very intrigued by the mention of MPEG4 capabilities.

Initially I just thought it could read and write MPEG4 data from a video camera without "understanding" it but now I'm not so sure.

It says "These new models can be used for storing and playing back digital video (in MPEG2/MPEG4 file formats) and photos (in JPEG/TIFF file format)*1 from a Panasonic Multi-AV Camera (D-snap) with an SD Memory Card slot or PCMCIA card slot*2"

which sounds like the camera has MPEG4 data and the E100 can play it back

However it also says "The DMR-E100H and E200H can also convert MPEG2 data to MPEG4 and copy it onto an SD Memory Card in a single step."

which sounds like the E100 has an MPEG4 encoder built in.

This raises interesting possibilites such as;

Can you record TV and encode it to MPEG4?
    Can MPEG4 data be saved to the hard-drive or a DVD-RAM disc?
    Will the E100 play back any MPEG4 compliant data (e.g. DivX 5) from a CD or DVD-RAM?

Does anyone have any more info or can they make out anything from the press release?