1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg4 CI MOdule ??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RecordablDVDfan, Aug 11, 2005.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Someone has on the feedhunters group has reminded me that there is a CI card for decoding mpeg4 / HD which you can use with any standard satellite receiver which has a CI cam slot / card slot ? Info was posted on here a while ago but can't find it, anyone know what I'm talking about, was it for mpeg4 or only mpeg2 HD ??

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Neotion I think.

However whether it is HD capable isn't clear. It could be for MPEG4 SD (as used for French terrestrial Pay-TV)

3. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Neotion it is.

Says its for H.264 standard - which is what Sky will use on their HD service.

H

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - though H264 is also the French standard def SD DTT standard for Pay TV (only FTA is MPEG2)

A lot of the pix on the site don't seem to show any form of video output - and given that existing CI MPEG2 receivers won't have HD outputs or HD MPEG2 decoders, the CAM will need to also output HD video won't it?

Presumably there is some clever edge connector that could allow this - though are HD H264 decoders small enough to fit into a CAM yet?

I wouldn't be surprised if the initial cards were CAMs for use in French MPEG2 DTT receivers and didsome clever H264 to MPEG2 transcoding in real-time, and used the DTT receiver's existing MPEG2 decoding kit output for display?

5. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think the card is designed to work in current hi-def receivers like the Quali-tv model 1080 IRCI - with 2 CAM slots. That outputs hi-def and so could use the Neotion thingy.

H

6. maccrazy

maccrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but does anyone know where these cards can be purchased and whether they would work on an X series Bravia?

Thanks. :)

7. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If they were available and worked with the bravia's CAM slot they would only allow you to watch SD broadcasts in H264 (as are transmitted in France) or play SD H264 files from a PC/Memory card. They wouldn't give you HD (in the UK or elsewhere) as the tuner module they are plugging into outputs only SD to the TV's scaler

It looks like it they transcode SD H264 to SD MPEG2 and output this to the digital tuner as their method. Clever thinking and useful in France if you have an older MPEG2 IDTV and want the newer H264 services.

8. maccrazy

maccrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. In New Zealand, we are only getting SD digital FTA next year anyway (at least according to currently announced plans), so not having HD support isn't then end of the world. It seems like a good concept though. :)

9. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The UK started DTT in 1998 so yes you are behind somewhat ! I'm surprised really as your Aussie neighbours have had HD DTT since 2001

I see you did'nt get nicam stereo country wide until 1996 !

This from wikapedia :-

>New Zealand has provisionally agreed to implement DVB-T HDTV, but there are no indications that TVNZ will be the first broadcaster to transmit in HDTV.

10. maccrazy

maccrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I think it's fair to say we are a touch behind. However, I just heard on the radio that Canwest is considering HD broadcasts next year, so there may be some hope yet. Though I guess it makes my question about these little cards a waste of time as I gather HD isn't supported (I emailed neotion but didn't get a reply). :p