MPEG2's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cheeseman, Jul 13, 2004.

1. cheeseman

cheeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, this is going to sound a little strange.

I have a tosh XS32 and i have been asked by my dad to put a couple of TV programs on that he's recorded. Trouble is, he's recorded them on his PC (via digital PCI card) as MPEG2's. Despite them now being on DVD disc's, the tosh won't recognise them, presumably because it doesn't recognise the structure of the disc.

Does anyone know of any way to get them onto the tosh HDD, without having to resort to the laborious rendering process on the PC?

Many thanks in anticipation!

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you mean that he has just copied the MPEG2 file to a DVD as a raw MPEG file rather than a DVD structure (IFO/VOB format). I am afraid you will have take the MPEG2 files and use a program like TMPGEnc DVD author to create a DVD file structure that can then be burned to a DVD suitable for playing in the the Toshiba. Hopefully the MPEG2 format he has used is compatible with the DVD format. I frequently record MPEG2 files on a PC, edit all the ads out, and then burn to a DVD-RW for playing in a stand-alone machine.

I normally use the MPEG-VCR tool from Womble to edit the ads out and create a new file without the ads - I then use TMPGEnc with this file to create a DVD image that I can burn to DVD using the TMPGEncs in-built burner.

Assuming the original recording is a DVD compliant MPEG2 stream, neither MPEG-VCR or TMPGEnc will re-render and the whole process is reasonably painless.

Hope this helps you - and if not - maybe somebody else!

MPEG-VCR: www.womble.com
    TMPGEnc: http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

3. cheeseman

cheeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could be *very* useful. Thanks.