1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG on Sony DAVS880

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by milgo, Feb 17, 2003.

1. milgo

milgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I play movies that I've downloaded from the internet, burnt onto CDR in MPEG format, on my DAVS880?

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No.
    You must burn the cd as a vcd and then it will play just fine. Mpeg/video file must be vcd compliant however or it will need to be converted.

Most burning programs such as nero however will do this conversion for you if needed.

Just start up you burning program and choose the create vcd option and select the file you want to use. If it is already in the right format (most mpgs will be) then just burn. If it isn't the right format the software will ask you if you wish to re-encode. Say yes, and a bit later you will have a shiny vcd which will play in your DAVS880

If your software doesn't offer you the option of re-encoding when needed, there are plenty of free programs which will do it for you.

Check out www.vcdhelp.com if you need any help.

3. milgo

milgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ferris57.

4. milgo

milgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 more question whilst the thread is live, can I record from DAVS880 to VCR tape?

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Probably not - your DVD player will almost certainly have Macrovision - whn you record onto a VCR you will see that the quality is very bad.

I'm no expert so suggest you search the forum for macrovison

6. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    best look at www.vcdhelp.com for instructions on how to best make a vcd, svcd and dvd from various sources. it may also have information about your player and if it has problems playing cdrs, cdrw and dvdr and dvdrw etc.

7. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah your player has macrovision unless you bought it chipped.

The easiest way around this is to buy a device which removes macrovision from the dvd players output sigal. You simply put this device (if say a video filter) between the dvd and vcr, or use it too connect the two (if a special scart lead) instead of a normal scart lead.

My personal reccomendation would be a macroscart from www.multiregionmagic.co.uk for £49 quid. You just connect the dvd to the vcr using this scart lead (which you also plug into the mains) and it removes all the copy protection. The direct link to this product is here

http://homepages.force9.net/grahamash/magic/copybox.html

8. milgo

milgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When yoy say "chipped" do you mean as in multi-region or specifically chipped to remove macrovision?

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I meant chipped to make multiregion. Some multiregion mods (handset hacks or actual mod chips) will not only make a player multiregion, but also remove macrovision.

However Ive had a look around and it seems that making the davs880 multiregion does not disable macrovision.