1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG Codecs

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Neil, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Neil

Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just tried my first bit of NLE, using Pinnacle Studio DV. I just used a small clip and put a title at each end. The *.avi was 68mb and I asked it to output to mpeg2 for an SVCD, the *.mpg was 53mb. I used Nero to burn the SVCD.

When I played it on my DVD player, there was a sort of shimmer when people moved. The playback quality was a lot worse than direct from the camera.

Taking the advice of other posts about editing I then encoded the same *.avi with TMPGEnc Plus -2.54.37.135 and the resulting *.mpg was 170mb, more than twice the size of the original avi !!

Is this correct ? I thought MPEG was a file compression algorithm.

Any comments ??

Thanks, Neil

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it's correct! MPEG transfers rates can be whatever you set them to, whether 200kbps (VCD) or 9mbps(HQ DVD)! There's nothing stopping you, or TMPEG using a higher bit rate than the original file, and producing a larger file. Since MPEG is a lossy compression, you won't necessarily improve on the quality of the original, although you could resize it.

Check TMPEG and see exactly what setting your output file is using.

3. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Neil

TMPGEnc 2.55 has been released, update to this version.

Use the SVCD PAL template, but change the "Motion search precision" to "Highest Quality (very slow)". This will give you the best quality possible and reduce the "crawling ants" effect. Be prepared for very long encoding times - run overnight for large files.

If you want the smallest file size change the "Rate control Mode" to VBR 2-Pass and experiment with the average and maximum bitrates to get the compromise between quality and size that suits you.

4. Neil

Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

I have tried your suggestions and the quality has improved and the size decreased.

Thanks, Neil