Mpeg-4

Asaf

Novice Member
I recently downloaded a HD MPEG-4 movie and noticed the quality on my plasma very clear and better then regular MPEG-2 DVD quality.

Eventhough my player is a regular SD DVD player but plays MPEG-4 this means it is not TRUE HD format. Is that true? And if not what type of quality am I really watching.

Thanks,
Asaf

Hi-Def

Novice Member
MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 are just compression methods

This is the way i see it both MPEG-2 and MPEG 4 can be used to compress HD video so in 1mb of data you can hold more data with MPEG-4 than with MPEG-2.

if you have a 2 hour film and fill a DVD with video compressed in MPEG-2 format the movie will be for example at a 10Mbit bitrate.However, with MPEG-4 it would be at a much higher bitrate as it can fit more detail onto the disk for example at a 20Mbit bitrate

which means you have a much better quality picture with the MPEG-4 compression than the MPEG-2 Compression

Asaf

Novice Member
Yea this is what I have noticed but does it still consider to be real HD viewing?

I am aware that much of the HD coming out these days over sat and cable providers are streaming with MPEG-4 becasue of the better compression ability.

Hi-Def

Novice Member
if its a standard DVD player which uses scart then no

if its a DVD with MPEG-4 compression from a HD source - you can fit 40mins on DVD i hear and are using a DVD player with upscaling through HDMI/component then i suppose you could class it as watching HD picture.

jamieuk23

Banned
Will come in to play a lot more when there are HD rom drives around and software to rip HD DVD`s to the PC. then people will convert to no dout divx HD xvid etc and share

Top Bottom