mp4 file - Best way to improve quality?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Goldstino, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Goldstino

Goldstino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I've got a few vidoes made with mobile and they are in mp4 format. They are okay to watch but their size is tiny. Is it possible to improve the quality of videos so I can watch these in slightly bigger size?

I have tried searching google and someone said Virtual Dub could do it with one of it's filters. I have downloaded it but it doesn't allow me to open mp4 file.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The problem is that you can't create what's not there. It's easy to increase the size, most players have a button or menu to do it, but that is just the same number of pixels spread over a bigger area with a consequent loss of quality.

I don't know of any consumer software that can improve things for you. The stuff you see in the likes of CSI and NCIS is fiction (so far).

3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Whilst Bob++ is technically right, and in a way that's how the World works. Thee is said to be a new technology that uses AI to match the "known" image parts with what the computer believes should be there. This is easy to understand if the picture is a blue sky with some puffy clouds.
    Always remember the viewer doesn't know what was seen (ie Original) - but is able to determine if the scene is "Rough" - so the AI resamples the image and Hey-Presto you have a stunning view of the rolling hills, with lake and puffy clouds in a blue sky.
    I understand this technology is to be launched by Sony, but it will be a while before it become "Consumer".

I think it was Fuji that introduced a "randomised" filter on single sensor cameras (in particular stills cameras), as this reduces patterning and enables them to remove an electrical filter - this is said to improve the image quality - but its not mainstream yet. Unfortunately they put it into a very expensive model that was heads-against some well established models from Sony and Pana . . . . instead of offering it on some budget cameras to give the tech a boost, knowing that keen photographers would want the more-advanced camera -

Sadly, Patents are there to restrict progress!

4. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Anyone who has ever tried to edit an unwanted person from a still pic will be familiar with the problem. Your head sort of tells you that if you delete the unwanted person then the background ought to be there - but of course it isn't, so you have to try to create it. So far, the human brain is the only software capable of doing it with any great success.

5. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Bob++
    a digital camera doesn't have to use a still. The image can be captured over several "frames" - but this new technology hasn't yet been released, so we don't know anything as to "how" it might work.

There are "right now" software-controlled cameras that can remove any moving item and thereby create an empty street-scene. A bit of a Bonus for Hollywood, that would otherwise have tp pay the whole town to keep out of shot. Just as easily computers can insert the Hero walking across an empty street (even though it never was empty).

Of course the human-brain has to think-up how this might work....

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Try this :D

Shoot a shot of a lampost with a relatively static background.

Get a mate to peer round the lampost from behind and shoot a 2nd clip.

Overlay the two clips using an editor. Split the images along the lampost using one half with your mate and the other half using the original clip.

Have fun :rotfl:

You can use the more capable editors in the same way using a fixed background shot and letting the editor remove a moving object automatically. (After Effects for example)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  7. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The important point about what Graham suggests is that the shots have to be set up in advance. It's the same with 'green screen' shots. It's much harder to remove something than to add it. We see in fiction like NCIS, where some clever bod uses software to 'enhance' a blurred picture to make a number plate legible. That is working on a still shot anyway, and the software will have to make assumptions about what should be (according to its algorithm) in the vacant places. The human brain would probably do a better jon in less time.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Bob++
    Search for panoptica and have a look at their vids - something to consider - and these aren't pre-aligned as far as I know, and are definately moving backgrounds.
    Wuld be interested in yr comments.