1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3s on a DVD+R disc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Aug 24, 2003.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    I'm not sure which forum to post this in.
    If I create a DVD+R disc full of MP3s on my PC will this be playable in my DVD player ? My DVD player copes with a CDR full of MP3s but I was just wondering if it can cope with over 4GB worth of files ?

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've done this on my Denon DVD3800 and it worked like a charm.
    I think you just have to try and see.;)

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    I'll give it a try then - just wanted to make sure it wasn't a none starter before I commence.
    Cheers

4. andyw

andyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certain dvd players will play them, some won't

andyw

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Try a +RW, then you can always re-use it. (Assuming your player can cope with the disc format)
    I have 1 player that reads +RW and +R, not -R and another that reads +RW, -R, but not +R. Go figure...

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    Thanks for the replies, I have one further question then I will leave you in peace !
    Can you organise the mp3s into folders on the DVD or do they all have to be in one folder (ie the root directory) ? I'm not sure if DVD players can cope with this.

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Some players have internal software/firmware/OS that lets the user navigate directories (or folders).
    With some others you have to have everything in the root directory of your DVD .
    Same applies for CD's on DVD players also.

I can't tell you which have or have not got this facility
    (should be in any copmprehensive review).

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    Cheers Chris. I think I'll try sub-directories on a cd first. If that works I'm pretty sure it will work on a dvd. It's much cheaper to waste a cd !

9. andyw

andyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pacific 1002W can read directory structure and view jpg's of the covers if placed in the same directory, although for some reason it has trouble playing certain bitrate mp3's, you hear a pop instead of a beat in certain midrange frequencies, you can tell when playing New Order's Blue Monday.

But for £47 it is a bargain, especially if you use it just for a cheap background music player lol

andyw

10. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes it helps if you can let the guys know which DVD you have as no doubt someone will have the same model and will be able to answer your questions with more precision? Just a thought?

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    You're assuming I actually know what model it is !! The model number isn't on the front of the machine and it's a pain in the whatsit to pull it out - and yes I've lost the manual :blush:
    But, just tp please you, I've had a look on the back of it and it's an LG4750. Since finding that out I've managed to download a manual which says it can handle folders but will only play discs with 256 or less tracks on. I think this virtually rules out a DVD full of music..... unless anyone knows different

12. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look at the manual as well. It is a similar symptom described for my pioneer but found that it mean't that it will only play a maximum amount 256 files if copied straight onto a disc without folders. When making a folder for each album I found that it would play as many as I could fit on a disc, which was in excess of a total of 300 files separated into folders (albums). But the difference is that this was done using a cd-r. I can't see what difference it would make using a dvd-r albeit giving you a lot more space. Try it and see, you never know, what's one dvd-r down the drain??

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    It will definately be worth a go then. I was wondering whether that was on a per folder basis. Thanks

14. andyw

andyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dvd-r with 768 songs split over 19 albums :)

Over 40hrs of music

andyw

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    For future reference, the LG4750 is a fussy little bugger when it comes to MP3. If there are more than 256 tracks on a disk it just will not play it no matter how many folders you have on there. If you have a disk with all the files in folders and no tracks in the root folder it still won't play it. The disk needs at least one mp3 track in the root folder.
    Time to buy a new DVD player I think..... anyone know what the Pioneer 565 is like with MP3s ?

16. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hear about the LG. I have both the dv-350 and dv-454 which I am able to record onto cd (at least until I decide to go DVD-r) over 300 files. The mp3 function is great. I have read on the pioneer website that the 565 will accept upto 250 mp3 directories and files? But without the manual it is hard to say wether it is 250 directories or 250 files?

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    Thats comforting to know mate. I think it would be safe to say that the 565 can handle large amounts of files if the older versions can. It's something that the magazine reviews don't normally cover.