1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3s around the house.........

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sidicks, Jan 9, 2005.

1. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, as all the other posts seem to relate to personal MP3 players, but hopefully the mods will move this into the correct area if necessary.

I'm interested in finding out the options for distributiing audio MP3s around the house via an audio server.

The Yamaha MusicCAST seems a good system, but I'm interested to know what other options are available (at a similar price).

I'm also wondering if, rather than purchase a lot of new hardware, I can utilise my high spec existing media PC, which already has 40GB of MP3 files stored on it.

Any pointers would be much appreciated !

Cheers

Sidicks

2. norderney

norderney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Try a Squeeze Box - http://www.slimdevices.com/

I bought my Squeeze Box and Netgear Wireless ADSL Router from MultiTasking Computers - http://www.multitask-computing.co.uk/streaming.html

I have been using my Squeeze Box for about 4 months now and it is marvelous. It connects to my Hi-Fi amplifier and allows my to play all my MP3 files stored on my PC upstairs. It works on a Wireless connection, but you can use an Ethernet connection as well.

The Squeeze Box comes with it's own remote control, but I am now using a wireless Dell Axim Pocket PC (PDA) to control the Squeeze Box.

All you need is a Wireless Router connected to your computer and a Squeeze Box. I have transferred all my CDs onto my PC using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with the Lame MP3 encoder and have created the MP3 files as VBR. The sound quality is exellent.

You can even get ShoutCast and Live 365 Internet Radio via the Squeeze Box.
    It will allow you to select music by song title, artist, album title, gendre or your own defined playlists!!!!

The SlimServer software that runs Squeeze Box is updated regularly.

I currently have over 11,000 tracks on my PC.

Hope this helps.

:clap:

3. av-techno

av-techno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either the Squeezebox or the Roku Labs Soundbridge is probably your best bet, this give the maximum flexibility for mutli room audio.

You can build a very cheap media server or use your existing PC and then rip your CD's to either Itunes, Windows Media Connect or Slimserver.

The units can be connected by wired ethernet or wifi and each unit can stream a different music selection, the soundbridge unit works straight our of the box with Itunes or windows media connect and it can also be used with the slimdevices slimserver software.

In the UK you can buy both types of unit from www.interfocus-av.com