1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3pro help needed please !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Seanjackdan, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I was thinking of getting a zen micro player, but today i have read in depth about the fact that these won't play/support mp3pro files that i have converted on to my pc using Nero 6. I have 20,000 files like this, so my question is if I convert the mp3pro songs i want on the zen micro to wma files (again using Nero 6) is this the best solution ??

I am still a bit miffed about this MP3pro thing, as when I rip a cd using nero to mp3pro 80kbps, I genuinely can't hear any loss of quality in the music ??
    Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *** bump ***

Can no-one help ????

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    All of these compression algoriothms are "lossy" to some extent. So, converting an (already damaged to some extent) file into a different format will only damage it further to some degree. So, you may hear artefacts on the eventual result, that would not have been there had you gone to that format directly from the source, in one step.

However, you are where you are, and for your existing stock, unless you still have original CDs (you do, don't you?) you haven't got much choice.

As for what to use, going forwards.....my own recommendation is to stick with mp3 (but not the variable bitrate "pro" version that Nero offers - the standard constant bitrate you get if you click the "pro" button to turn it off - and use a minimum of 128k). The reason is simply that support for this format outside of PCs is more widespread than for wma (and mp3pro etc) and so you are less likely to encounter compatibility problems in the future (with other devices; who knows, you may end up with a CD player in the car that can "do" mp3 - or some such).